Can I do a Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deantheking101

Reaction score
My wife works at a flower shop and they have a cooler that is kept at 40 degrees. I have not looked int Lagering to much but i know it needs to be kept at a cooler temp. Would i be able to work with this cooler?

You still need to figure out a way to do primary fermentation at around 50-55F, but if you can do that you could then use the cooler for lagering.

Make yourself a cheap fermentation chamber....

Get yourself a used refrigerator on Craigslist or elsewhere....you can find one for under a $100.....and then buy yourself a temperature controller.....I have the digital Johnson Controls A419 (I think it was around $80)..and it is great.....then you will be set for lagers or even for Ales in the summertime (my basement is to warm here in the summertime even for ales....so I use my fermentation chamber during summer

To answer your question, YES.

Swamp cooler with frozen water bottles should let your achieve 55 degrees. Then bring it up to 68 for your d rest and off to the flower shop you go. Man I would be lagering year round if I was in that situation.

I will be checking the want ads for a part time florist job now.

Make yourself a cheap fermentation chamber....

Get yourself a used refrigerator on Craigslist or elsewhere....you can find one for under a $100.....and then buy yourself a temperature controller.....I have the digital Johnson Controls A419 (I think it was around $80)..and it is great.....then you will be set for lagers or even for Ales in the summertime (my basement is to warm here in the summertime even for ales....so I use my fermentation chamber during summer

This is a good recommendation. I would be careful however getting a used fridge, sometimes they are getting rid of it for a reason. I learned my lesson the hard way after buying a used chest freezer for $150. A nice big 21 cu ft one, I could fit all my fermentors in. The only problem is that it doesn't cool :( The guy is giving me my money back but I have to get rid of this POS now. Luckily the company where I just bought a new one from picks up the old one on delivery.

When you say "around" 40 degrees...any chance they could let it sit at more like 45 or 46 degrees for a week or so? If so, you could ferment in there. Otherwise, the swamp cooler idea mentioned above may work for you--I would be very careful about yeast selection if you go that route.

As mentioned above if you can get your hands on an apartment-sized freezer or old fridge (depending on the space you have) to use as a fermentation chamber as well as a temperature controller you will end up with much better results.

I am no expert but cut flowers require very strict temp control themselves for the longest shelf life. They use high end commercial units that keep good temp control.

Back