brown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
I was out of town last week, and we got hit with some hot, dry weather. The hops that were on the vine, which were just about ready to harvest, turned shades of brownish-green and yellow. The yellow glands are stilll present, and they still smell like cascade hops when I squish them in my fingers. Will they still be OK to brew with?

Sounds like your ready to harvy! If you decide to throw them away....I have an address you can send them too. :)

I was out of town last week, and we got hit with some hot, dry weather. The hops that were on the vine, which were just about ready to harvest, turned shades of brownish-green and yellow. The yellow glands are stilll present, and they still smell like cascade hops when I squish them in my fingers. Will they still be OK to brew with?

I'd say they are border line. Pick all of them, dry them and then brew. If you are gonna use them then do so ASAP. Otherwise freeze them. Don't bitter hop with them, just flav & aroma < 15 min. hop additions

Back