Should I rack now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I started a batch of Pino Grisio 8 days ago. Of course the instructions say let it go 5 - 7 days, then rack it into a carboy. On the 7th day, it was still bubbling away in the airlock, so I wanted to let it go another day. Today, it's still bubbling in the airlock about every 2 - 3 seconds.

Should I rack it now, or let it go another day or two?

I started a batch of Pino Grisio 8 days ago. Of course the instructions say let it go 5 - 7 days, then rack it into a carboy. On the 7th day, it was still bubbling away in the airlock, so I wanted to let it go another day. Today, it's still bubbling in the airlock about every 2 - 3 seconds.

Should I rack it now, or let it go another day or two?

Did your instructions give S.G. levels as indicators of when to take action? If so, check your hydrometer reading. Airlock activity should not be used as an indicator of when/what to do to wine, simply because different yeast varieties create different responses based upon the must they are fermenting. Your hydrometer should be your best friend.
If no S.G. indicator levels provided, you should be just fine to go ahead and transfer to carboy. Be sure to transfer entire contents of primary if that is what your instructions say.

The only reading i saw, was in the final stages as when to bottle.

Actually ignore what I just said, I read it again, and it said the gravity should be 1010 or less, so I'm going to check it after i sanitize my baster i use to suck it up.

** Editing this **

Just took my reading, it's about 1002, so i'm going to rack it.

Thanks.

Back