Dumb Keezer Q of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm dumb I know, but I need to ask - obviously everyone is controlling these freezer chests with a temperature control, right? Ok, my question, I have an old side by side fridge, I have a temp control on it on the fridge side, but in order for it to work at all the freezer side has to be on... even on the LOWEST setting the freezer is still below freezing, I think it's like 20 degrees... Now I realize the temp control which is in the fridge half is controlling THAT zone.
So, my stupid question is, and obviously the answer is yes, can you use a freezer chest with a temp control as a fermenter and/or a server... obviously yes... so I guess all those freezer coils around the cabinet only have to work like 1/10th of their capacity to keep the chest at 65, but it is doable right? And then lagering or serving/carbing at 40, still well above freezing, this is all ok for the freezer chest? I suppose it would last a lot longer... I dunno, for $350 home depot has a 14.8 cuft. one that is VERY tempting...

Yes. The only thing the temp controller does is keep the unit from operating. So, once temp is met, the temp controller cuts the power to the unit. I regularly adjust the temp of my freezer between 60F and 35F and never had an issue.

Latest posts

Back