Carbonating half a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwoopty

Reaction score
My buddy and I just acquired a new AG system along with kegging systems for each of us. Since we dont live with each other we need to split our batches. We intend on brewing 10 gallon batches so we can evenly split it 5gal/5gal between our kegs. But, if we brew a big beer our AG system can only handle a 6 gallon batch. So if we split our batch to 3gal/3gal how will this effect carbonating the kegs? Will it have any effect or if we just throw the psi to 12 and let it sit for a week it will eventually equalize out and we wont have to worry?

Thanks!:tank:

Should do fine but your going to use a little more gas to displace that missing volume and make sure you purge the tank good!

Should do fine but your going to use a little more gas to displace that missing volume and make sure you purge the tank good!

I dont agree with using more gas. As you drink a keg the level goes down meaning more gas. I truly believe it evens out by the time you get to the three gallon mark the same amount of gas is in the keg as if you started with just three gallons . Yes the initial fill is more but the same amount is used overall there is only so much gas that will go into a 5 gallon corny at 12 psi

Latest posts

Back