Hops in Alaska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akchris

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a decent selection of hops to grow in south central Alaska (Big Lake.) 4-5 month growing season 50-75 degree temps, lots of daylight. I am a proficient gardener so the plants themselves shouldn't be a problem, but what strains would give me the best crop in this short growing season? Any input is greatly appreciated. Chris :mug:

55N latitude is pushing up against the Northern limit of hops growing, I'm not sure if you're much further North than this, but if you are, you'll have trouble.

This isn't to say that the hops won't grow, you'll probably get really big bines and leafy growth, but cones might be a problem. The signal to start making cones depends on a certain number of hours of daylight, this signal comes later in Northern climates and frost tends to come before the hop cones mature. My Cascade crop this year in Edmonton, around 53N latitude, finally ripened in early October and we've seen frost and snow some years by then.

Hope this helps

Joe

Joe, I'm 61.5N, but I'm definitely going to give it a try next summer. The worst thing that could happen is I'll be out 20 bucks for a few rhizomes. Thanks for the response, and I'll post up any progress/success with the growing next year:D

If I pick a spot that only gets light for part of the day that might help trigger the production...maybe:confused:

I'm in Sweden at approximately 61N latitude and I'm planning to try to grow some early maturing types next summer too. Wild hops grows in the area, but I didn't think to check if the cones matured this year....

Latest posts

Back