Help! Wyeast German Ale Yeast fermentation question/s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elaeace

Reaction score
Hello gents
I have a question about the Wyeast German Ale yeast 1007 and its fermentation.

I brewed on Sunday Oct 6, 13. I pitched this yeast at 73 degrees. I placed the bucket into my fermentation chamber and set temp controller at 60. I used a blow off tube initially. After 24 hours I did not see activity but I heard what thought was bubbling from inside of the bucket. I decided to replace the blow off tube with a basic air lock. As soon as I did that I noticed bubbling immediately inside of the airlock. 24 hours later I have no airlock activity Alastair all. This is concerning me as it has only been in the fermenter for two day.
My question is, does anyone have any input on this strain? Is this normal?

One question - was the beer bubbling away at 60 degrees, or was the temp still dropping from 73 when you noticed the bubbling at 24 hours? As many folks will tell you, its better to pitch at a temp equal or lower than your fermentation temp. It can shock the yeast to decrease temp during fermentation. However, if it was actively bubbling after dropping to 60, its likely fine and not done fermenting yet - at a steady 60 degrees this yeast usually takes me 7 days to stop attenuating. If this is the case, I bet its still hard at work. More likely you have a small airleak and that's why it's not bubbling anymore.

I've used that strain 3 times now, and it's performed very well. My last batch was a Doublealt this past weekend, and I pitched almost exactly like you. My pitching temp was 72-73, and she went into a swamp cooler at 61-63. I pitched the slurry from 2 qts harvested 3 weeks previously. She took off in less than 24 hours and has been a-bubbling big time, blowing off krausen. Temps have stabilized in the 64-65 range. So, I agree with Omahawk, you probably have a small gas leak somewhere. If you are concerned, take a SG sample. I also agree with Oma, that it has usually taken about a week to attenuate and drop.

I looked inside and did see a thick layer of krausen and bubbles, but no airlock activity. I did pitch the yeast at around 72. I assume that it dropped over the next few hours. Hopefully the krausen and bubbles means that it is fermenting slowly at the lower temp. I would be okay with the leak as long as it is fermenting. It's my first brew in my fermentation chamber and I was not sure what to expect. I hope it turns out. Thanks for all of the input. Additional input is greatly appreciated.

Last question

If Omahawk is right, and the yeast is shocked, any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Should I pitch a packet of dry? Or something else?
Thanks fellas

IF the yeast got cooled too fast and shut down (which they likely didn't if you are still seeing krausen) just rouse the yeast a little and raise the temp a few degrees.

Honestly, you're probably fine and the lid or the seal around the airlock has a minor leak.

Also, as you get towards the end of attenuation (day 5 or 6) you should be fine to let the temperature rise into the upper 60s with this yeast. That'll make sure it stays active and successfully completes its "conditioning" and cleaning up all of the by products of fermentation, but it'll be late enough to avoid ester formation. Sort of like a diacetyl rest, although I don't know that this yeast is prone to diacetyl formation in my experience.

Back