Help with cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddup_is_a_middup

Reaction score
I came across a bunch of apples (Red Delicious/Jonathan Hybrid) from my parents farm. I've never made cider before, but have about 20 batches of beer Under my belt. I was wondering what would be the best way to make a cider from whole apples without the aid of a crusher or juicer. Is it worth my time to try, or should I just make a **** ton of apple pie :D

(I will atleast make an attempt (1 gal) batch, but wondered if you brilliant guys could give me a few pointers. Thanks.

I'd say you'd be better off making an @$$load of apple pie, friend. Without the crusher or the juicer, you aren't going to be getting a lot of juice out of the apples- which, as you know, is integral to the cider process.

I'd say the best way to experiment with making hard cider, if you still want to, is to get a gallon of pre-juiced apple cider from an orchard that does juice their apples, or from an organic food store. You want something that doesn't have any preservatives in it- Pasteurization is fine, so long as no chemicals have been added.

Otherwise you've got to haul around huge piles of heavy apples, mash those up, squeeze the juice out, go to all the trouble of making your own cider, and frankly, that's just too much work for something so tasty, wouldn't you agree?

Back