Developing DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I totally goofed on my partial mash last night. It was about 3AM when I finished. After I got done the with boil I didn't chill the wort other than reconstituiting with cold water. I vaguely remember pitching the starter at about 90'F Duh!!! How flippen stupid was I last night???:mad:

I was sleep walking too. Never went to bed, got up, pissed, ate something, layed down on the the couch. SWMBO came home really late last night, new I was sober, went to bed, woke up and thought I was hammered when she found me walking around. She bitched me awake. It was very unpleasant and disapointing not to be drunk after that!!!!

I know LOL!

Was I brewing in my sleep??? My question... between 3AM and 9AM how much DMS can develope at about 90F. Is this already cool enough to avoid DMS production? Airlock is showing positive pressure now. If this could be a good sign...(sigh) :tank:

95% sure DMS production ends at about 140°. You might end up with some weird esters from the yeast being pitched too hot, though.

I doubt you produced a ton of DMS - it sounds like you rapidly cooled to 90, which should halt DMS production. You will probably suffer from a few esters and such due to a rather warm start to your fermentation.

That sounds better!!

It was one of those nights where I was operating on auto-pilot. I pitched dry superior lager yeast. Its seems to be a pretty robust yeast. I think I can handle some esters. It will go into the basement in a day. @55'F

FYI - The batch was a Dortmunder 6 DME+ 3.5lbs of grain.

I really like doing the mash. It was pretty easy, even toasted a 1/2 lb, I made a step by step instruction sheet. Figured out when to heat more strike/sparge water. Forgot to spell out not cooling the boiled wort in ice water.

Thanks!!!! - :mug:

Back