Stalled Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds

Reaction score
I made a 1.5 liter starter using Wyeast smack pack 1084.

Imperial Stout exploded(quite literally) on the first night, brought it down to 1.030 by the next night, then stopped completely(absolutely no movement from 1.030) for the next 4 days...

I think I might rack to a secondary(the primary is a mess to say the least), make a starter from some saved Nottingham and pitch that.

I tried warming it up(got down to ~65F) and swirling it a bit, but still absolutely nothing the past day or so.

Oh, OG was 1.081

Dont rack to secondary let it sit and see what it does. You might want to try and warm it up and rouse the yeast a little and see what happens.

He said he already did that ^_^

I'd leave it alone. From your description it seems it's been in primary for 6-7 days, correct? Leave it for another 2-3 weeks, periodically rousing the yeast as you have been. There's a good chance you'll see a FG that makes you happy :ban:

So it hasn't moved at all yet, and today I noticed what appears to be an infection...

any ideas what i should do? make a quick starter, pitch it, hope for a quick ending maybe? then keg it immediately?

idea anyone? keg it as it stands? wait it out? I'm sure the infection is only going to get worse from here, looks like it may be only a couple days into it right now...

my first infection :/

If it is infected, there really isn't anything you can do. I'd just let it ride for a couple weeks.

Key phrase there - "What appears to be an infection"

You wont truly know if your beer is infected or not until you give it adequate time to do its thing.
How long has it been in the primary?
Forget about it for a while with another batch.
-Me

Back