Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alba%20Scots%20Pine%20Ale.jpg

I've tried quite a few historical beers, and some I love, like Fraoch heather ale. But this beer is horrid. I'm trying to choke it down without vomiting. The only good thing is that it works like a mouth wash...my breath is amazingly sweet.....but I want to puke....

I've never wanted to dump a beer before in my entire drinking career.

Great mouthwash, lousy beer.

That's odd. I tried it and although it wasn't my favorite beer, I didn't find it quite that awful. Wonder if yours was oxidized? Oh well off to the local shop to buy a bottle to try again....

On the other hand yes Chopp is absolutely awful!

I tried the Alba ale a while back and couldn't get into it either, though I'm not sure it verges into "worst commercial beer ever" territory. Unpleasant appearance (muddy, murky brown, no head), and odd flavor (overly sweet, tasted like...I don't know, blueberries?).

I know the bottle I tried was a couple years old, but at 7.5% ABV, I thought it would have aged ok. Maybe I shouldn't totally write if off without trying a fresher bottle, but I haven't seen it anywhere since. Maybe there's a reason for that. :rolleyes:

Tiger. Hands down the worst beer on the planet.

Or

singha the second worst beer on the planet.

Both made with formaldahyde I've been told. Tastes horrible and gives the worst hangovers plus beer sh*ts.

PapsD said:

Or

Both made with formaldahyde I've been told. Tastes horrible and gives the worst hangovers plus beer sh*ts.

I doubt those beers are made with a poison.

Or

lol, I heard the same thing, but about Chang. I'll take a Tiger over a Singha any day. I drank a lot of Carlsberg when I was living in Thailand, but when that wasn't available, Chang had to do.

i was told they use it for a preservative. Plus they had a formaldahyde-y smell and a funky taste.

True or not still the worst beer I've ever had. Makes cheap American beer taste like champagne.

You know... I am tempted to buy this just to see if its as awful as it sounds. Its been quite sometime since I have had a truly terrible beer. Even the Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer was passable*.

*not passably good, but passable.

Okay, I had the Voodoo Doughnut. Considering I was prepared for a beer of barf-like qualities, it actually wasn't too bad... If the taste of maple bacon had been a bit more subdued I think this could have been a very good 'weird beer', but it was so powerful it was cloying in anything beyond a small sip.

DSCF4779-580x1024.jpg

I could smell the bacon from over an arms length away.

It was definitely better then Pizza Beer... And definitely not the worst beer I have had.

That's odd. I tried it and although it wasn't my favorite beer, I didn't find it quite that awful. Wonder if yours was oxidized? Oh well off to the local shop to buy a bottle to try again....

On the other hand yes Chopp is absolutely awful!

The bros last review on this beer was about 10 years ago. Tastes have changed and so has the game. Probably a terrible beer at today's standards.

DisturbdChemist said:
Alaskan White - It's suppose to be a belgian wit i believe but i just tasted water. It had no to little flavor to the beer itself. Not a good start for first Alaskan brewery beer.

Alaskan makes some damn good stuff, but I've never had their wit.

Still... "water" is the worst beer you've ever had? At least it's inoffensive. Some beers are downright vomit-inducing.

Alaskan White - It's suppose to be a belgian wit i believe but i just tasted water. It had no to little flavor to the beer itself. Not a good start for first Alaskan brewery beer.

Eh, don't get your hopes up.... not saying their beer's bad, just..... well, they're beers are middle of the road at best. Aside from their amber, which is a pretty decent alt, their beers really don't shoot for the high side of the style, flavor wise. My first go round with them was their 'IPA' (I use the term very loosely here), very tasty beer, but is much more of an American Pale than an IPA. Good beer, but not big on flavor.

As far as the Voodoo Doughnut.... I wasn't nearly as offended by it as I'd planned on. Would I pay $13 for another bomber? Not on your life, but it is what it is, which IMO is a ver weird beer that ya gotta try, like it or not, but one's enough for anyone's lifetime. :mug:

It's not the worst i had just hate water down flavor like some vitamin water. It wasnt bad at all. A very easy to drink brew but just the flavor was not there. I will try some of their other brews in time. I hope that the first brew from a new brewery will peak my interest and want to get more of their brews.

I just bought VooDoo Doughnut the other day. I just wanted to try it and see that everyone is saying about the drink. I dont have high hope just like nord said "ya gotta try it"

Black Label Light - when I was in college, you could pick up a case of cans for less than a case of Coke - and for good reason. This stuff was awful and the next day was, shall we say, explosive...

DisturbdChemist said:

It's not a Start at all. Alaskan Brewing has been around since the late 1980's.

Eh, don't get your hopes up.... not saying their beer's bad, just..... well, they're beers are middle of the road at best. Aside from their amber, which is a pretty decent alt, their beers really don't shoot for the high side of the style, flavor wise. My first go round with them was their 'IPA' (I use the term very loosely here), very tasty beer, but is much more of an American Pale than an IPA. Good beer, but not big on flavor.

Agreed for the most part, but their Smoked Porter is fantastic. Other than picking up bombers of that from time to time I will occasionally grab a 12er of Amber for a cheap easy drinking session beer.

Agreed for the most part, but their Smoked Porter is fantastic. Other than picking up bombers of that from time to time I will occasionally grab a 12er of Amber for a cheap easy drinking session beer.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one.... it is stellar beer! One of my favorite pubs got a keg of it last year, only time I've had it and it was quite tasty. And I too will grab their Amber from time to time, so few Alts around, and it's a good one. :off: cuz I'm mentioning good beer, but if you can get Schell's Schmaltz's Alt, and if you like a good altbier, give it a try, very tasty.

Oh yeah, back on topic, I guess MGD64 kinda sucks. :ban: :ban:

It's not a Start at all. Alaskan Brewing has been around since the late 1980's.

I meant that I had my first one from them. They just started distributing here in Texas so i never knew about them till then. So they are new to me.

I heard about the smoked porter and cant wait to find some down here

I would drink a case of Red Stripe, Corona or Bud Light before I would drink another Wild Blue.

I saw Anheuser-Busch released Wild Black, that might be worse, but I can't see how that's possible.

Worst beer for me was Beck's... Never could get to like it. And usually I don't mind a little skunky beer. Every time I try this I don't even want to finish it.

About 15 years ago me and some friends drove up to canada on a fishing trip. We each got a case or a bottle at the duty free. You can only bring 1 of either per person into the country. Well that stuff didnt last long. We were young and broke, and could not beleive the beer prices in Canada. We bought a case of the cheapest beer we could find. Gentle Ben I believe it was called. Well we were driving along drinking it for about an hour and it was some nasty crap. After a while we realized we were not getting buzzed. After a closer inspection of the case it turns out it was NA. I cant beleive I drank that swill for nothing. Funny to think about it now though.

Budweiser and Clamato Cheleada. Anybody that would drink that stuff is mad at theirself.

me and 4 real ale drinkers tried to finish a bottle of
4276718622_574038fa53.jpg
its a Bavarian beer that tastes like a mix of warm steel reserve and bong water.

the other would be at a real ale festival I handed over my ticket for a beer that I recall was called Black Mass, it was a traditional British stout brewed and described a a sulfur stout, dunno if it was in the keg or what but I got a half pint glass of a gorgeous looking deep black stout that smelled of rotten eggs as I was drinking it, it was a cracking beer over shadowed by the overpowering stench off foul.

So many bad beers out there! I'd have to say i really hate the taste of tucher, heiny, and Rolling rock. Nasty!!

I don't know if anyone had mentioned this. A couple years ago at a party, I had something called Beer-30 that came in a plum purple can. It was only like $10 a 30-pack and became somewhat popular around the college I was attending at the time. It has been the only beer I couldn't finish, and I will drink a lot of the beers already mentioned in this thread on occasion without (much) complaint.

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring... Taste like Pine-Sol smells. I thought it would pretty bad.

HoppyDaze said:
steel reserve

You know, there have been a lot of beer to come through this thread over the months... Most of them are like milk and honey compared to Steel Reserve. That is the absolute worst tasting swill on the market, bar none.

bottlebomber said:
You know, there have been a lot of beer to come through this thread over the months... Most of them are like milk and honey compared to Steel Reserve. That is the absolute worst tasting swill on the market, bar none.

I've never had steel reserve, but I doubt it, or any other beer in this thread is as bad as Sam Adams Triple Bock. The only way anyone could post any other beer as being the worst is if they haven't had SA Triple Bock. It seriously tastes like a mixture of overly burnt sugar caramelized on a piece of wet cardboard that was used as a dog bed and the dogs laying on it were slathered with soy sauce daily. When this black, still liquid touches your tongue it wraps around it and coats it like some sort of nasty oil. The flavor doesn't go away until alot of scrubbing your tongue and mouth. It is the worst excuse for beer I've ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth. I would drink any other beer over that stuff any day.

WesleyS said:
I've never had steel reserve, but I doubt it, or any other beer in this thread is as bad as Sam Adams Triple Bock. The only way anyone could post any other beer as being the worst is if they haven't had SA Triple Bock. It seriously tastes like a mixture of overly burnt sugar caramelized on a piece of wet cardboard that was used as a dog bed and the dogs laying on it were slathered with soy sauce daily. When this black, still liquid touches your tongue it wraps around it and coats it like some sort of nasty oil. The flavor doesn't go away until alot of scrubbing your tongue and mouth. It is the worst excuse for beer I've ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth. I would drink any other beer over that stuff any day.

Lol! I would almost seek it out after a description like that.

Worst one I've had today: Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark. $5 a 6 pack? I shoulda known. Still, it's worth about $5 a six pack, except I'd rather not drink the other 5. It's just very watery and it doesn't call me back. Luckily I have a Sierra Nevada porter to erase the horrible void.

I'm with you on the triple bock- i split a case with a buddy in 94. we paid 120 bucks for it, and that was the most i could ever imagine paying for beer back then. we drank bottles on and off over the years, and not a one has improved with age- in fact many of the corks dried out and rotted in the bottles- they probably should have been stored on their sides, contrary to sam adam's advice on the side of the bottles. I drank my last one a couple years back and it still sucked. My buddy has 5 bottles left- he is still clinging to the belief that we made a worthy investment and that all those bottles need is a few more years under them.

Thankfully, I didn't pay for my sample of Triple Bock - someone had a bottle at a Utopias brewfest. Completely agree about how horrible it was. A little more "oyster sauce" than "soy sauce," but completely undrinkable. Just pushed the yeast too hard, it seems - but it's hard for me to imagine that the beer would have been all that good even if it was "clean." Probably tied with that "Golden Shower" from Dogfish Head, though - the DFH beer was absolutely vile as well.

EDIT: I bet the Triple Bock would make one helluva marinade, maybe for some beef for a quick stir-fry... but that would be one might expensive marinade!

Back