Carboys on Ebay... Is this possible??!!??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, that happened to me one, bid on something cheap and BAM!!!! rape you with the shipping charges....

Yep. It's 53 bucks to my place.

I noticed a lot of folks are padding shipping and starting the auction at 99 cents. It's cheaper as eBay charges you more the higher you start your auction. It works out in the end as long as the buyer knows what it is worth and what it would cost locally to buy new.

I use Craigslist more than ebay to buy & sell. eBay takes their cut, then PayPal takes theirs, which amounts to what, 5%-10% of the gross sale amount?

Bobby_M said:
You could easily turn them in to Ebay for fee abatement. You know they're charging 4x the real shipping cost. I do that sort of thing a LITTLE but more like 10%.

Not if it is clearly stated. It's a buyers decision to pay it or not.

I'm not new to ebay, I just wasn't paying attention as my girlfriend was talking away about w/e the hell she was talking about... Went back for a second look to check my shipping fee for it and BOOM...

This seller is rather clever with his upcharge for shipping. I've seen the large shipping charge tactic before, but never hidden within the UPS shipping calculator. Clearly he's falsified the weight/dimensions of the package in order to inflate the estimate. I doubt a complaint to eBay will do much good, but it's a pretty sleazy tactic.

Think about it. You can get THREE brand new six gallon Better Bottles from Morebeer.com delivered to your front door for $75.

Buying glass on eBay just doesn't make sense.

EdWort said:

Nah Ed. Ebay is seriously cracking down on that crap. I'm pretty sure they have whole staff dedicated to looking for unusually high shipping to item price ratios. It doesn't take a genius to see that it would normally ship for about 10 bucks anywhere in the U.S.

"Unreasonable shipping or handling costs - The seller may add a reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of the item, but may not charge excessive shipping and handling fees, excessive required insurance fees, or excessive (or not applicable) taxes in an effort to make the item appear artificially inexpensive, to avoid eBay fees, or for any other purposes. A shipping and handling fee may cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price. Please see the complete Excessive Shipping and Handling policy for more details."

This is 20 minutes up the road from me. I think I will ask about local pick up. With these, and the soon to be converted keggle, I think production may increase in my brewery.

Webbie

Let us know how it goes webbie. If so, you may have just become our supplier....
They say they have 500. I'm sure we'd float you enough to make it worth your while.

From the listing:
"Pickup is an option if you are local or willing to travel. "
EDIT: it was $40 for me.

PeteOz77 said:
C'mon people is very easy to see just how RARE these things are... they only have 500 of them for sale....

You just hit the nail square on the head. Bummer, according to the listing they're only good for wine and cider, no mention of beer. I guess I can't use any....

Anyone else notice that the pic looks like a 5 gallon(vertical and horizontal ridges), not a 6.5?

i saw the same thing as well. Maybe thats why they are rare!!!

They are the only 5 gallon 6.5 gallon carboys available!!!!:ban:

I've had several (2 or 3 anyway) Wii auctions pulled for "erroneous" shipping charges over the last 18 month. What's erroneous you ask...20 bucks according to ebay.

I sent a question about purchasing more than one and local pick up to see if there is any price difference. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

When I purchased my VG2230wm display, most of the sellers were hitting $120-150 for shipping. Bought it direct from Dell for about $50 less than the low "buy now" and ...

$18.75 for shipping.

I've read that eBay is trying to work the shipping costs into the bidding process. I wish them luck, it isn't easy.

webbie99 said:
I sent a question about purchasing more than one and local pick up to see if there is any price difference. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

You will get a "no you can't pick them up because we drop ship them from mystery location X" or no response at all.

My money is the drop ship excuse.

Finally - the world is coming around to WHY I hate Ebay!!

I bought my buddy's old XBOX thinking I could get some fun games on the cheap and have a fun little system to have around for the rare chance I get to play games - Plus I love the one golf game we have for XBOX.

I go to buy extension cables for the cords - damn things are like $0.99 with $5 shipping. You can put them in an ENVELOPE for crying out loud! I've seen singel games, NO BOX, just a game disc in a sleeve with $15 shipping. I've seen 3 game with box combos for like $20 shipping - when the media mail is like $5. Last I remember there was a flat rate box for like $9 that fit 3-4 good size books into - and these bastards are raping us for shipping.

I will never ebay again.

I just talked to the guy and his is not really trying to rip anyone's head off. As a matter of fact, local pickup rates are $15 for 1-49 and $10 per if you want 50 or more. I am going to get some at that price and I told him about this forum and the beer fest in Raliegh if he wanted to take some up there if people were interested. If you have any questions, I have his number. He is responsive to his ebay messages.

As far as the high shipping prices- Even though they are high, they're posted right up front. That's why friends don't let friends drink and buy.

jtvinny said:
As far as the high shipping prices- Even though they are high, they're posted right up front. That's why friends don't let friends drink and buy.

If I were to steal a 6 pack of beer in open, plain sight..would that make it right?

I know that is not a great comparison, but it makes the point.

I agree its good that people posted it and pointed it out, but it still does not change the fact that is is a shady practice, and underhanded.

I agree that a higher buy now and then real shipping charges is the way to go. What he is doing is a technique and not one that I would choose. The easiest way to send this guy a message that this is a poor practice is to not buy one or try to corespond with him (I'm sure some of you have tried, maybe I got lucky, my resonse took about 5 minutes).

That's just silly. Hopefully having folks report this guy will get ebay to do something about this.

EdWort said:

It's called "fee avoidance" if the seller jacks up the shipping to make up for a low purchase price. this occurs because the seller is dinged a flat rate for insertion but a percent of the purchase price. The cost to the savvy buyer would be the same, but the seller would be shorting eBay.

wildwest450 said:
It's funny that hardly no one has a problem with someone jacking up prices on hops https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=61970, but everyone's screaming rape on inflated shipping charges, welcome to capitalism.

Most of us avoid threads with the words hop, crisis, or eithcs in the title. This one bit us because it didn't have any of the keywords for us to avoid.
:D

wildwest450 said:
It's funny that hardly no one has a problem with someone jacking up prices on hops https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=61970, but everyone's screaming rape on inflated shipping charges, welcome to capitalism.

If you read that post you'd see a lot of people responding on both sides of the issue.
I was the OP on that one...

That's a crappy comparison. The guy selling the hops on ebay wasn't trying to avoid ebay's TOS. This guy with the carboys is. Trying to cheat a company's contract that you agreed to obey is much different than the "capitalism" involved in the hops seller. Also, there isn't a "carboy crisis" that I'm aware of. Most companies sell similar fermenters for similar prices. The fact that hops are in short supply and people are going crazy over "C" hops is the reason the seller on ebay choose to go that route with his hops. Granted, it did piss me off that he wouldn't sell to me in store.

Regardless of how you choose to view these very different circumstances, in the end, both sellers are just screwing themselves. No one bought that guy's hops after I left a comment on his auction, and I doubt anyone will buy this guy's carboys unless they are local to the seller.

(over a loudspeaker at a race track)

And they're off!!!!!

Not going to get into this one, I just wanted to post whore.....:D

Back