Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmooks

Reaction score
Have a batch of black ale fermenting now in a plastic bucket. It is going on it sexing week of fermenting. It's OG was 1.082. I am wondering if I should use secondary fermenting or go ahead and bottle and 2 weeks. If I use secondary fermenting should I add new yeast cells to the batch?

I wouldn't bottle it yet. I'd leave it a full 4 weeks in primary or another 2 weeks in secondary if you prefer. That's what I would do. You wouldn't need any extra yeast for secondary, btw, existing yeast should suffice just fine.

HopsJunkie said:
I wouldn't bottle it yet. I'd leave it a full 4 weeks in primary or another 2 weeks in secondary if you prefer. That's what I would do. You wouldn't need any extra yeast for secondary, btw, existing yeast should suffice just fine.

+1 to more time & no new yeast. Bigger beer often means longer ferment to finish out and clean up.

It's NOT going on the sixth week of fermenting. Fermentation was over proabably 5 weeks ago. It's been conditioning. Cleaning up, but fermentation's been long over.

Many of us skip secondary, and do exactly what you did, leave it in primary for about a month, or more, then we bottle or keg. At this point you don't need a secondary. You accompolished what you use a secondary mostly for, CLEARING the beer, in the 6 weeks in primary.

Just bottle it.

How much yeast did you pitch origionally? Barley wines or strong ales may need a little boost upon bottle priming depending on the yeast's tolerance.That and the longer primary, it seems it takes longer to carb but that is also associated just being a bigger beer- to take longer.

Back