Lager Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdstrobe

Reaction score
I just started fermenting a batch of Texas Bock and read that the yeast that I accidentally bought is a lager bock yeast from White Labs. I pitched yesterday and no activity has started so I put it in an ice bath to lower the fermentation temp but I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to lower it to the desired temp.

I've heard of some strains of Wyeast that can ferment at higher temps (68-70) but have a lager effect. Would pitching a vial of this kind of yeast at higher temperatures lead to off flavors?

The only reason I'm thinking of this option is because I'll be out of town for a few days and won't be able to keep it on ice.

let me know of any thoughts.

Thanks.

And I just checked the White Labs vial and it says that fermentation temperatures should be over 70F, while the instructions say to lager it while fermenting.

I'm worried about esters developing.

And I just checked the White Labs vial and it says that fermentation temperatures should be over 70F, while the instructions say to lager it while fermenting.

I'm worried about esters developing.

The White Labs Lager Yeast vials suggest keeping the temp around 70 until fermentation begins.

Then you should reduce the temperature to 50-60 degrees. Sometimes you get esters & sometimes you don't. RHAHB.

Back