are aquarium sealers safe to use with drinking water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to patch a hole in a plastic conical fermenter and wondering what material I can trust to use for this that won't be bad for my wort/fermenter. Also I'd like to attach/insert a thermometer into my mash tun (cooler) and would probabaly need something to seal that, that is 'food safe' as well. Any suggestions?

I'll bet JB weld would work just fine. I just read that it's food safe. Some aquarium sealants are as well, but I'd read the MSDS for the product before buying it.

I just read that it's food safe.

Do you mean like three posts ago ? :)

I am interested in this also because I have an Igloo cooler (was my MLT will now be my HLT if I can fix the holes) that I popped three holes in on my last batch and I need to fix them somehow.

Reading on JB Weld's website the only product that they specifically state is food grade is WaterWeld. The 2 part epoxy sold as JB Weld is shown as non-toxic.

If fish can live in it, especially salt water fish, it must be safe!

BTW, never use a commercial sponge for cleaning a saltwater tank (RIP)...

JB weld has been used in many applications on theboards, as far as patching cornies etc. You should be good, just check the package of what you're buying (I'm pretty sure its on there).

Yes silicone caulking is safe for drinking water. Make sure you read the labels to verify no goofy stuff was added such as anti-mold chemicals, etc. Also make sure it is given time to cure too.

Aquarium silicone is food grade, but many silicone sealants are not. They all run about the same price so if you can find the DAP aquarium sealant, that's what I would use.

Reading on JB Weld's website the only product that they specifically state is food grade is WaterWeld. The 2 part epoxy sold as JB Weld is shown as non-toxic.

I forgot to update my real world findings. I" went to several places in search of Water Weld. No luck. But at Home Depot I did have luck finding something.

Plumber's Epoxy. I am looking at the tube right now and I can't really find a brand name but what I can find is this quote "the only product specifically NSF approved for potable drinking water plumbing." It was with the JB Weld at Home Depot.

This stuff was easy and cures steel hard in 6 hours.

Back