Magicjack phone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
I just got the love letter that the "Introductory Offer" from the phone company will be discontinued Feb 1, and unlimited local and long distance is no longer available. When I signed up, it was for life, supposedly.

I ordered the MagicJack online today. I didn't hit the button to confirm, but got a confirmation e-mail.

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

Here's what one guy posted in a PC Mag forum about Magic Jack.

You guys touted magic jack. YOU HAVE A LOT TO BE ASHAMED ABOUT.
Because of your review of the product I went and purchased one for my son. Did you guys test this thing at some kind of beer or drug party?
The unit gives busy signals to dormant phones that have been dormant for well over 5 minutes. It calls into answering machines on sprint and other long distance services. Gee we figured that out in about 2 minutes after plugging the thing in.
Also don't try to return it. There is no return information on their site. Here is the last part of a 3 hour run around I got when I tried to return one today.
Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Nicole'
Nicole: Hello, how may I help you?
Dean : I need the return web address
Dean : I asked for an rma number and a return address and you people have refused to give me one.
Dean : I need that info now.
Nicole: May I know when the issue started please?
Dean : The return web address does not work.
Dean : Give me an rma number and an address.
Nicole: May I know please why you should return the magicjack?
Dean : IT DOES NOT WORK.
Dean : give me the information.
Nicole: May I know why the magicjack doesn't work please?
Nicole: Could you please be more specific.
Dean : I have already explained that. Give me the return information.
Dean : I will not ask for the return information again.
Dean : I have attempted to return your product in good faith and have been meet with nothing less than bs.
Nicole: Please give a moment please I will try to check your chat history if what is really the reason because I really don't
know.
Dean : Stop the bs
Nicole: I understand you frustration Dean.
Dean : It is clear that your company is not honest. You do not have easily accessible site information to do
returns.
Dean : So keep it up. As I have said before I have made all the good faith efforts I need to do to return the
product.
Nicole: Please hold on a moment I checking with your issue Dean.
Dean : You have just 2 more minutes to supply the proper return information.
Nicole: May I ask if you still in the 30 free trial days?
Dean : You have one more minute
Nicole: Please confirm my question Dean are you still on the 30 free trial?
Dean : Ok I have attempted to return the product three times today.
Nicole: Or please give the date when you purchased the magicjack.
Dean : At all times I have been thwarted and and refused to be given the proper information to effect a return.
Dean : Your product is here at my home address. You can come by and pick it up at any time during normal
business hours.
Nicole: I see.
Dean : I am informining my credit card company to refuse any type of payment as you have refused to accept a
return.
Dean : The product was just delivered today.
Nicole: I understand your frustration Dean.
Nicole: I apologize for the inconvenience but currently we are updating our system.
Dean : What is the web address.
Nicole: Don't worry this is only for temporary issue.It will be fixed as soon as possible.
Dean : What is the web address.
Nicole: That's why you cannot access because our sytem is down at the moment we still on the state of updating.
Dean : What is the web address
Nicole: I'm sorry for the inconveience Dean.Hope you were be able to understand regarding with our issue.
Dean : Ok bye I have tried to return the product.
Dean : No sorry I have made my last and final attempt to return I have copied this conversation down.
Dean : Your product is here and you can come and get it.
Nicole: Our engineers are now still on the state of updating.
Nicole: Thank you for being patient Dean I appreciate it.
Dean : No sorry it has nothing to do with a return.
Dean : Bye
Nicole: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to
answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen
and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

That looks familiar! I placed the order at 10 am, entered all info, but never hit submit. backed out as far as it would let me, then closed the window. DID NOT agree to purchase, or authorize transaction.
1 pm i get an e-mail that my order has been processed and will be shipped. went into chat, got Jean, tried to cancel, asked about 30 day trial. said i never received product, just looking. Got a 1-800 #, that is an automated order system.

Just went into chat again, and got Jan. Cancelled order, but no confirmation # or anything, just a click and paste of status update from ordered to cancelled.
I put it on a credit card, so I'll keep an eye on it.

My opinion, their customer service stinks.

I cancelled with them thru the chat support, and had a cancellation e-mail within the hour. I am watching the card online. Thanks Cisco.

Yeah, magic jack. Seemed like a scam to me. Just plug in and dial per the infomercial.

So Windows doesn't need a driver or software? Really?

viatalk may still have their deal of 2 years for 2 lines for 200 bucks. i just signed up and have used it a couple times. but seriously if you dont use the home # then dont get a replacement. if you need a phone for home and have family talk add a line and leave the phone where the old phone was.

We found it cheaper to do the family plan and get a cell phone for each of us. If nobody is home, then the dog doesn't need a phone. :p

I am selling this house, so I wanted a number I could take with me. I will buy it at radio shack, they will take it back if no good.

Back