pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lametrout

Reaction score
For the past year i live in a apt that had a flattop stove and i bought a 5 gal brewpot and was doing partial boils. I bought a house and have a gas stove and for my birthday my got me a king kooker burner (http://kingkooker.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=80 ). my 5 gal pot kindda sits inbetween the inner and outter where its kinda slanted. So ive been thinking of getting a bigger pot so i can do full boils, what would be the best size not only for full size extract brewing also i can use for when every i can afford to go to allgrain?

Thanks

Go with a 10 gallon kettle (or get a pot and convert it yourself). If you had a better frame on the burner, that had more support, you could also go the keggle route. But, unless you want to seriously modify that frame, that won't work for you. I would just measuer the diameter of the top ring on the burner and get a kettle/pot that's at least that size.

BTW, if you're going to be using the BIAB method for all grain (when you're ready) I would get/make the kettle without a dial thermometer in it. It will only get in the way of the grain bag. Plus, it's more likely to get caught on it and tear a hole in the bag. None of which is a good thing.

BTW, if you're going to be using the BIAB method for all grain (when you're ready) I would get/make the kettle without a dial thermometer in it. It will only get in the way of the grain bag. Plus, it's more likely to get caught on it and tear a hole in the bag. None of which is a good thing.

+1 to this^^^ Nice catch Golddiggie, thats exactly why I didn't get a pot with a thermometer in it, you also might want to consider getting a pot with the steamer basket like the one I posted, it helps with heavy grain lifting.

here is a link for a 44qt=11gal pot with basket.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MHD9QI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cheers :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going with BIAB (haven't used that method in some time) but I've removed the thermometer from my mash tun and didn't install one in my boil keggle. I'm also not going to install one in my HLT I'm making. I use a Fluke 52II, with type K sensors, to get the temperature readings as needed. No more needing to worry about how I have the kettle positioned, in order to be able to see that damned dial. :rockin: Plus, it's one less fitting to have to worry about sealing right (when you make it, or if you remove it for the complete cleaning).

Sorry Golddiggie, I men't the OP when I said, you also might want to consider getting a pot with the steamer basket like the one I posted, it helps with heavy grain lifting.

Often my brain go's faster than my fingers lol

Sorry Golddiggie, I men't the OP when I said, you also might want to consider getting a pot with the steamer basket like the one I posted, it helps with heavy grain lifting.

Often my brain go's faster than my fingers lol

I understood, I was just posting to point out how you don't actually need a thermometer in any of your kettles. It's really more of a 'like to have' item that you really don't need. In some cases it actually is more of a hindrance than a help. I kept knocking into mine in the mash tun (with the paddle). Got annoying enough (I had already purchased the Fluke unit) that I simply removed it and installed a plug in it's place. :rockin: MUCH happier with that setup now.

Hey thanks guys, so when you say kettle, do you just mean a brewpot with a weldless spitot or something else?

Hey thanks guys, so when you say kettle, do you just mean a brewpot with a weldless spitot or something else?

A kettle is a pot that has a ball valve installed in it (either welded, or not). Without that, it's just a pot. You can add other items if you wish, and as you find you need/want them. Such as a sight glass/tube. I would recommend having a dip tube on the inside, so that it's easier to extract all the wort.

I just got that same burner, and I picked up a 10G Winco pot while I was at it. Works great for my needs (full-volume extract boils, thinking about giving BIAB a try), heavy gauge 18/8 stainless with an aluminium core. It's a pretty serious pot, must weigh at least 25 pounds. Much heftier than the "Martha Stewart" 20qt I started with!

Back