My new SS single tier Brewers Equipment Stand Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akthor

Reaction score
First off yes I read all the reviews, good and bad. I finally emailed Marcus at Brewers Equipment and conveyed to him my worries and I listened to what he had to say and he explained his side and he put my mind at ease. Plus as Marcus pointed out if you get it COD or pay with a credit card you really can't lose out since you CC will refund you. So after talking to Marcus I went for it.

I ordered the stand on the 18th it was one he had in stock the description on the site was: In stock special. Ready for immediate shipment.Stainless steel brew stand. These have the standard 4" burners, but are not built to accept banjo burners. Mounts included are 2 pumps mounts and 1 chiller mount.

Stand arrived on the 25th, price was as stated on the website $680 shipped.

Throughout the whole process Marcus emailed me back very promptly and answered all my questions.

So I tried to take as many pictures as possible when opening the box and unpacking everything. Everything came well packed, there was a little shipping damage on a couple of the corners where the legs slide in, not sure there is anyway to keep this from happening since we are talking about UPS here and if you drop 60+lbs of steel on one corner there will be issues. No big deal for me took me all of 2 mins to straighten back out the offending bends, I think even if I didn't straighten them the legs would have still slid in so it was more cosmetic than anything.

2012-01-25 11.40.42.jpg

2012-01-25 11.41.03.jpg

2012-01-25 11.42.55.jpg

2012-01-25 11.43.08.jpg

2012-01-25 11.43.29.jpg

Just an amazing amount and quality of stand for the money! I looked at DIY and at having my local metal supply and welding shop fabricating a stand for me and they quoted me $1000 without any plumbing or burners, almost $400 for just the SS if I wanted to do DIY. So to say I am happy to have a nice SS single tier, with burners and plumbing for a tad under $700 shipped to my door is an understatement.

I work overnights so I came home at 7am knowing UPS was delivering the stand I slept on an air mattress downstairs so I would hear him knock. It was all I could do to get it unpacked and set up and take these pictures then stumble up to bed.

I am off this weekend and I will hook up a propane tank and fire her up and report back here. If you have any questions or if I failed to take a picture you wanted to see please don't hesitate to ask.

Wow, I didn't realize those prices included shipping. Not bad at all. Thanks for all the great pics.

(As an aside for all the people selling expensive brewing equipment online. THESE are the kinds of pictures you need on your site! Can't have too many of them! Customers shouldn't have to hunt around message boards to find detailed pics of your products!)

Thanks, akthor. I'm looking forward to hear how it works for you.

i've been wanting one of thses sooooo bad, i just need to get a pump first!

thanks for the pics, we don't get enough of them for that company.
now only if they would build gravity set ups... hrm...

While I'm glad you got what you were looking for, anyone would be a fool to use this one positive review as an indication that he stopped ripping people off all of a sudden. People, make sure you do exhaustive searches for "brewer's equipment" before you put your money down.

I did exhaustive research.

Fact of the matter is Marcus has sold about 350 stands by the 1st of this year. There seems to be 10 if even that unsatisfied customers. That's what? 98% positive customers?

I find it disturbing that it seems to always be certain vendors jumping on this bandwagon of bashing Marcus and Brewers Equipment. Not sure if they are just trying to protect members of if people have their own ulterior motives. It makes me believe the things Marcus told me.

Folks all I can say is don't believe the hype especially when it comes from competing vendors. Talk to Marcus, he has his side of the story with evidence to back up what he says.

And like I said earlier he will COD a stand to you, or if you use a credit card you are protected from losing your money.

Bottom line I got a SS stand delivered to my house for far less than I can get a mild steel stand even let alone SS.

Yes do your research, just be sure you get both sides of the story.

I don't appreciate the suggestion that I have an ulterior motive. I don't sell brew stands and I never will. I was one of the first people here to praise marcus for very nice work when he first showed up around here and I even recommended his site to a lot of people when they asked if I sold stands. I have a great sense of comradery with my fellow HBT'ers and I've been a positive supportive member of the community long before I ever became a vendor.

I'll bash any business that takes money up front, doesn't deliver when promised and cuts off communications. I don't know all the facts about what's been going on but I know just enough that the courtesy caution post I started with is completely justified.

Im no vendor. I have never been so angry when dealing with marcus. My stand took 7 months from cash to stand. I was quoted 6 weeks. Heaven forbid you ever have to have marcus build you something. And another thing. I have records that show emails and phone calls that go un-answered for MONTHS at a time. MONTHS.

You have no idea what your talking about. Im sure Marcus did get better when all of his customers figured out what a scam it was !

Why would you wait? If you were so disatified why would you wait 7 months? Why wouldn't you call your credit card company and have them refund you? See that's strikes me as odd with these complaints. I've been burned with online purchases before. After a reasonable amount of time I called the credit card company and get the money back. Why would you go months? There is shadiness at work here somewhere. I have trouble believing someone would just wait months like that.

I think that no matter what vendors should not just jump in and bash other vendors. Bobby I understand your position of wanting to protect fellow HBT'ers but if you think about it logically how could someone get ripped off as some claim? If I buy some sight glasses from you and you charge my credit card yet don't ship me what I bought? Is that it? Do I have no recourse? You just keep my money? As I said think about it. Marcus told me that some of the "supposed ripped off customers" were never even customers and were never charged by Brewersequipment. Marcus sells enough stands thru his site so he got tired of the drama here and left. Shame.

Am I saying there hasn't been an unhappy customer? Are there some real unsatisfied customers, sure, he's sold 350 stands and you can't please everyone all the time.

Two sides to every story, and before people ask a stupid question, no I didn't get a free stand or a discount for defending BrewersEquipment and Marcus if you need proof I can post pictures of THE MONEY ORDER. Yea didn't even use a credit card imagine that and got my stand in like 7 days.

Im no vendor. I have never been so angry when dealing with marcus. My stand took 7 months from cash to stand. I was quoted 6 weeks. Heaven forbid you ever have to have marcus build you something. And another thing. I have records that show emails and phone calls that go un-answered for MONTHS at a time. MONTHS.

You have no idea what your talking about. Im sure Marcus did get better when all of his customers figured out what a scam it was !

This sucks too. Their electric stand was amazing for the price. And would have given me a base to start with for a.brew stand. But looks like I have to start out with my own... glad the op got what he wanted but I do not want to risk it

LOL if they got refunds how did they get ripped off? I just wrote a review and then YOU jumped in! I didn't ask or need your imput but once you jump in and then I am not allowed to respond?!?!?!?!?!

You and Bobby try to paint me as some sort of lucky retard who was dumb enough to buy a stand from Marcus but was lucky enough to get what he ordered in a timely fashion. And if people look around I am not the only one who was "lucky". Like I am an idiot for buying a stand from who I did???? I am just supposed to thank my lucky stars I got the stand and sit on my hands????

See the fact of the matter is that YOU jump in with your two cents anytime anyone mentions buying a stand from brewersequipment.

And YOU sell brewstands, do you see the problem here? Do you see why you might not come across as a neutral party.

Wow lookit that looks like you guys got your mission accomplished again.

I suggest you talk to Marcus, it can't hurt and you may be surprised buy what you learn ;)

This sucks too. Their electric stand was amazing for the price. And would have given me a base to start with for a.brew stand. But looks like I have to start out with my own... glad the op got what he wanted but I do not want to risk it

Hmmm a paying vendor on this site trying to shut down the review of a competitors product.

Lets guess what happens next?

This thread is another fine example of why there needs to be more moderation of thread crappers. Here and in the classified area.

What's wrong with a business having issues in the past then getting a positive review to start the recovery process?

This thread was a review on one person's experience. Any comments trying to dumb down a review make no sense to me. As if people reading it are too "dumb" to know its one persons opinion.

Sad.

Two things come to mind to me. First, that's an incredible piece of equipment for the money. You could put a glass or marble top on that and use it as a TV table.

Second, if this guy is making these himself from scratch, he's probably charging too little for the amount of work it is. That would be my suspicion if he is slow to produce the goods. I've seen a lot of one man shops selling their wares on the internet that have that same problem. They cover the COGS but not the other expenses, like their own labor, and get in trouble for that. Basically they can't quit their day jobs and it doesn't leave enough time for the side job, to answer emails and such.

I've been tempted myself to start selling things on eBay or whatever, but it always comes down to my own time is worth more than the money I'd make after spending time packaging and shipping. Worth A LOT more. I could just do a few hours of consulting and make more than I'd probably make in a year of doing that.

I paid with a money order.. Nothing i could do and he knew that. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a good review about MArcus. That being said there is nothing wrong with us posting how bad he is. This is a forum and thats what makes it so great.

Why would you wait? If you were so disatified why would you wait 7 months? Why wouldn't you call your credit card company and have them refund you? See that's strikes me as odd with these complaints. I've been burned with online purchases before. After a reasonable amount of time I called the credit card company and get the money back. Why would you go months? There is shadiness at work here somewhere. I have trouble believing someone would just wait months like that.

I think that no matter what vendors should not just jump in and bash other vendors. Bobby I understand your position of wanting to protect fellow HBT'ers but if you think about it logically how could someone get ripped off as some claim? If I buy some sight glasses from you and you charge my credit card yet don't ship me what I bought? Is that it? Do I have no recourse? You just keep my money? As I said think about it. Marcus told me that some of the "supposed ripped off customers" were never even customers and were never charged by Brewersequipment. Marcus sells enough stands thru his site so he got tired of the drama here and left. Shame.

Am I saying there hasn't been an unhappy customer? Are there some real unsatisfied customers, sure, he's sold 350 stands and you can't please everyone all the time.

Two sides to every story, and before people ask a stupid question, no I didn't get a free stand or a discount for defending BrewersEquipment and Marcus if you need proof I can post pictures of THE MONEY ORDER. Yea didn't even use a credit card imagine that and got my stand in like 7 days.

I really like the way the fuel rail is ran, nice and clean look, but like any rail I would check it every now and then for leaks. Outside of that, REALLY nice.

I paid with a money order.. Nothing i could do and he knew that. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a good review about MArcus. That being said there is nothing wrong with us posting how bad he is. This is a forum and thats what makes it so great.

I'd like to ask the both of you about the quality of the stand..I noticed on the website that the black one is available with the banjo burners and those are better IMO. Its hard to imagine this kind of a stand for this price b/c I'm in the process of starting a single tier build and can't come close to this after paying a welder and painter!I am considering jumping one one of these (even tho there is mixed reviews)....wow that sounds like a discussion i had with a friend before i married my wife! Anyway, is it high temp paint, what size tubing, is it square? All reviews are welcome!

Just curious...Are the Bad Ass Stands in the same price range? The website isn't cooperating with me..Thanks!

I finally emailed Marcus at Brewers Equipment and conveyed to him my worries and I listened to what he had to say and he explained his side and he put my mind at ease.

What was his side of the story? I jumped on the same offer you did, in-stock special, and finally canceled my order after two months of unanswered emails and phone calls...

The quality of the stand is OK. the paint comes off as soon as you make your first batch so if you are going to buy one buy stainless. Also The stand came bent, and without burners for me? I dont know what to tell you. Im just being honest I was EXTREMELY upset before during and after i received the stand.

I'd like to ask the both of you about the quality of the stand..I noticed on the website that the black one is available with the banjo burners and those are better IMO. Its hard to imagine this kind of a stand for this price b/c I'm in the process of starting a single tier build and can't come close to this after paying a welder and painter!I am considering jumping one one of these (even tho there is mixed reviews)....wow that sounds like a discussion i had with a friend before i married my wife! Anyway, is it high temp paint, what size tubing, is it square? All reviews are welcome!

Just curious...Are the Bad Ass Stands in the same price range? The website isn't cooperating with me..Thanks!

You and Bobby try to paint me as some sort of lucky retard who was dumb enough to buy a stand from Marcus but was lucky enough to get what he ordered in a timely fashion.

I don't know why you're jumping to conclusions and getting so defensive. Now that you mention that you paid via money order, yes, I think you were at risk of being a victim in light of all the negative reviews lately. "Retard" though? That's your choice of words, not mine. Don't insinuate that I'd use that type of language.

Your positive experience is a step in the right direction and I hope we see many more in the future. You should realize though that conveying what Marcus told you is just hearsay. He can tell you anything. He should have been on here responding to the accusations and backing his story up. Of course that's my opinion and how I would handle the situation if it were me on his end.

If my concerns for fellow brewers is construed as thread crapping, I encourage folks to report my posts to the mods for deletion.

I will say that commentary from Badass or any other direct competitor should be construed as potentially biased even though the points made can be completely valid. This is the same scrutiny I'd expect if I were speaking negatively about one of my direct competitors.

Akthor, very nice stand, I hope your happy with it. Keep us posted on your brewstand build.

I've read all the negative reviews about Markus and his company and although very limited, I've read some positive comments. His brewstands are of excellent quality and his prices are good. But, there's no excuse, for his lack of communication with his customers. Markus's reputation has been damaged (he's not the only vendor). I agree with Bobby, if I was a vendor I would offer an explanation, but he has not defended himself, what are we supposed to think! Hopefully, since you expressed concerns about past problems to Markus, he will begin to place more effort on customer service, so he can rebuild his damaged reputation.

This forumn has done it's job in educating the homebrewing community with vendors who are having problems. But, it has done it's job, highlighting those who go the extra mile.

I was going to buy a stand from Markus, not now!

I am no expert but the welds seem very nice, I weigh 330lbs and I can sit on any part of it and there is no give or flex. I just assumed that the stand would have the black pipe manifold I was very pleased to find when I got the stand that the manifold was integrated into the frame. It makes for an extremely clean design, as you can see in the pictures there are no hoses just an elbow on the burners and they screw right into the manifold, very clean. As far as the burners themselves he said the standard burners bring the water to boil about as fast but folks like the banjo burners so he offers them but he didn't think they merit the extra cost.

To address the other stuff I am going to post some stuff from Marcus that he emailed me:

Addressing how he is able to sell for such low prices.

I built a stand totaled up the coast and add my profit and that was my price.

Here is the break down of a mild steel stand:

40$ for steel
45$ for burners and valves
12$ casters
10$ paint
37.50$ shipping

152$ total I have worked hard to get these prices and I can build one start to packed in a box in 6 hours by myself. I guess I go about it a different way. I have never payed any attention to what others are doing I don't care. I just worry about making the best quality product for the lowest price. I spent a long time on my design and I now have it where it ships UPS and doesn't even go to the oversized category. A real challenge but it makes it by one inch. By doing that I can ship it anywhere in the US for 37.50$ flat rate with my deal with UPS. (me: As long as UPS is used damage to the stands is always a risk no matter how well the stand is packed, but shipped freight on a pallet you are looking at a lot of $ for shipping. As I said for me the damage was minimal and easy to fix. But UPS, USPS, Fed EX are all not particularly gentle with packages)

The thread crapping:

That is why I quit HBT I have been working to get Google to find me and that has worked well and next is magazine ads coming soon. I think talking a lot on HBT can help you which I never did. I only answered questions. The part I don't like is the vendors who post who I think have no business doing so. I built a electric control panel, I never replied to any thread or posted to anything to do with the competition. I guess if I was as bad as he says I am I could have a friend buy a stand from him and post tons of bad reviews then I could come on and get in the middle of it.

About bad reviews:

A very prolific poster on HBT asked me how much it would be to build an electric brewery control panel. I built it and charged him $1400 he was happy but never once did he say anything about who or where he got it and how much. He is even a large poster on HBT. My point is most people never say a word when they are happy but if they are unhappy they never stop. As you figured out there really is two sides to every story and what people don't realize is I have sold 350 stands as of the first of the year. If I have ten people who are not happy (which I don't think there are that many) I would be at about 98% costumer Satisfaction which is excellent. No matter what I build or how much I try I can't make everyone happy.

Finally:

It's funny how badass has posted so many times for no reason at all. You were happy and he didn't like it. Maybe he should spend more time on his stand design and material prices to get his costs down to compete with me on a honest level. I really don't care anymore what they do because I know the truth and I found other ways to reach customers.

Marcus didn't ask me to quote his emails and hopefully he doesn't mind that I did. All I can do is comment on his treatment of me. He answered every question in the same day and if I didn't live like a vampire, I work overnights, I'm sure it would be quicker. He delivered my stand in 7 days at the price quoted on the website. I actually got a deal since it was in stock it had two pump mounts and a chiller mount I got for free. You have nothing to lose if you use a credit card or have him COD it. '

I couldn't be happier I was gonna just do a 5 gallon extract batch on it today with my old brewpot but the woman called and wants to get together :(

OneHoppyGuy said:
Our costs:

304 Stainless Steel 2 x 2 .065 - our cost $5.87/ft = bare minimum $120.00 for a stand.
Casters: $12 each - oops we only use 4" heavy duty casters = $48
Banjo burners: $95 for 3 - oops we don't use 4" burners
We don't paint Stainless Steel... another oops on our part
Gas manifold because frame routed is gas unsafe, dangerous and illegal in all 50 states for appliances: $80
SS Pump mounts with integrated drip shields: $30 each
SS Burner shrouds: $28 each

Shipping of a stand that has removable legs:
$12.50 for box
Packing material: $10.00
Shipping via UPS out of state: $190.00

Not included in costs:
Consumables
Labor
Electricity
Tools

Yup we suck

Let it go dude. Please.

Your losing business the more you keep responding. Trust me.

Not to continue but you say $120 minimum for a stand using stainless but your website says +$800 for stainless on the $500 basic one tier stand.

This correct?

Grrrr I just want to brew a 5 gallon extract batch on it with my old brew pot but I keep getting calls and company coming over interrupting me. I hope to fire it up either tomorrow or Monday and give a full report on functionality and how long it takes to get 5 gallons of water boiling (biggest pot I have right now, I hope to get the top cut off the one keg (empty anyway) I have then I will do a 10 gallon water test too.

I wonder if he used the money I gave him for an "in stock" stand to build this one?

I never got that stand and when I asked for my money back he stopped responding.

Take a look at his company reviews in that section. I'm not alone in this experience.

I hope that the Texas Attorney General takes action and shuts him down. Until then the homebrew community needs to get the word out and blacklist this guy. He's scamming people and is still at it.

Just because your credit card company is eating the loss doesn't make it right. He's stealing from you and from them. This is unacceptable.

Seriously enough already. Stop crapping in my thread. Funny 3 days later Mr. 21 posts decides to pop in? After the badass guy made a spectacle and had to give up YOU just happen to show up? What a strange coincidence.

hey i still think you got a good deal on a cool stand..enjoy..

I feel obligated to give my experience with this company to people when I hear them considering giving this guy more money. I was one that actually got ripped off from him and I don't want others to suffer the same fate. If I had read a story like what happened to me I wouldn't have had this happen to me.

I don't spend much time on this or any other forum. The number of posts I have put up doesn't mean I'm not telling the truth about this. When I do come on here and see posts about Brewer's Equipment I will speak up until I get a reasonable response from him. Telling me sorry take it up with your credit card company doesn't count. It was a lot of money that he kept. Thankfully his fraud was covered by Paypal for me, but not for everyone. Besides why is it OK to have Paypal or a credit card company have to cover his fraud? If I learned that Blichmann or Northern Brewer was doing things like this to people I wouldn't buy from them either.

I'm glad you got the stand. It looks nice and I'm sure will work well. Next time you talk to my buddy Marcus ask him to give me a call and explain what happened to my money.

Seriously enough already. Stop crapping in my thread. Funny 3 days later Mr. 21 posts decides to pop in? After the badass guy made a spectacle and had to give up YOU just happen to show up? What a strange coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back