Protein in Leftover Whey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solbrand

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just getting into cheese making, and am really excited. However, I am trying to figure out what to do with the excess whey- and one option I was considering was just throwing it into my daily smoothie. But, I'd like to know how much protein is going in there when I do that, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere online...

Typically, it'd be whey leftover from making cottage cheese.

Can anyone help with this?

Edit- http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/whey-(acid-fluid)

I keep finding things like that, but 1.9g of protein a cup has to be too low, right? That's less protein than the milk itself has, which makes no sense.

Solbrand said:
Hey guys,

I am just getting into cheese making, and am really excited. However, I am trying to figure out what to do with the excess whey- and one option I was considering was just throwing it into my daily smoothie. But, I'd like to know how much protein is going in there when I do that, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere online...

Typically, it'd be whey leftover from making cottage cheese.

Can anyone help with this?

Edit- http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/whey-%28acid-fluid%29

I keep finding things like that, but 1.9g of protein a cup has to be too low, right? That's less protein than the milk itself has, which makes no sense.

If its mostly water, and most of the protein is left back in the cheese, it makes a lot of sense.

Okay, so would it be safe to say that the cottage cheese contains most of the protein from the milk?

Solbrand said:
Okay, so would it be safe to say that the cottage cheese contains most of the protein from the milk?

That's what I'd imagine. I'm guessing you can check and see what they say about cottage cheese protein. Greek yogurt (strained from the whey) is incredibly high in protein.

Back