2nd runnings = Second beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
So I just recently switched from doing extract and partial mash to a 10 gallon all grain setup. after my first AG batch I thought maybe I might start doing two batches out of each mash.

If I do a bigger beer (1.060+) I can usually get my boil volume and then do a second batch sparge that results in a 1.030ish wort of about 3 gallons. I know traditionally British brewers would commonly use a second set of runnings in their Barleywines and Stouts to brew Milds and low gravity browns.

So am I crazy to think I could pull my first batch and then take a second set of runnings for a small-batch, small beer? Ive got all the goods to do 3 gallon batches. Im thinking about doing a barleywine in a couple weeks and might grab some extra hops for a mild.

Any advice?

I wouldn't swear to which it is... but one of the commercial "Craft" breweries does it. It was talked about on their website. I have done it for a friend of mine that has complained that one of my brews makes her want to sleep the rest of the day... no, no, no.... don't even go their. Anyways it's done more than we know. Fair tasting... very low ABV.

People do that all the time. It's called partigyle. Search on it and I'm sure you'll find lots of good tips.

After about 2 mins of searching google I found all I needed. I had no idea that the Belgian Triple, Double etc is simply the running number. Looks like I have a new goal this brewing season.

Thanks Man.

After about 2 mins of searching google I found all I needed. I had no idea that the Belgian Triple, Double etc is simply the running number. Looks like I have a new goal this brewing season.

Thanks Man.

I don't think that's true, being as trippels are stronger than dubbels...

Edit: Nevermind I found the link referring to that. I'm still not sure it's true.

You can blend some of the first/second/third/fourth worts into one/two/three beers etc which is what British breweries have long done at least. Usually the weaker beer, if you were to do two, would contain some of the stronger wort

Belgian Dubbels have a lower ABV than Tripels, but the SRM's are different. Dubbels are darker than Tripels. So basically you couldn't party-gyle a Tripel into a Dubbel.

I just had a brilliant idea that's never been thought of before...;)

First runnings = top shelf gourmet beer
second runnings = starter wort

I might have to try this at the start of my next brewing season.

I have great luck with using my "second" runnings from big beers to make milds - I'll often cap the initial grains with some additional crystal or chocolate etc, if the original beer was pale, or if I feel like I need some extra flavor - but the roastiness of a dark beer really shines through in a mild. Normally I get a really drinkable and flavorful 3% beer in the end. I also keep some DME on hand just in case I want to bump the gravity a bit.

Vernacular - Used to spend lots of time in Batavia on business. I still miss the little Irish pub down town - especially the Summer Tuesday's BBQ!

Back