Bender's Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
London ESB Ale
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-21
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Creamy, malty, excellent at lower carbonation and warmer temps.
I've brewed this beer twice so far, and both times it has been one of the best beers I've ever made. It's not just for English ale enthusiasts, either. It's got a very crowd-pleasing flavor profile, and at about 4% ABV is easy-drinkin'.

Your strike temperature and volumes will of course vary depending on your system. Picture to come soon.

We used to be able to attach BeerXML files, but apparently no more?

Code:
Recipe: Bender's Best Bitter
Brewer: Joe Fisher
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
7.50 lb       Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        83.33 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)     Grain        11.11 %       
0.50 lb       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        5.56 %        
2.00 oz       Fuggles [4.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         28.0 IBU      
0.50 oz       Fuggles [4.00 %]  (15 min)                Hops         3.5 IBU       
0.50 oz       Fuggles [4.00 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.4 IBU       
1 Pkgs        London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)        Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 13.50 qt of water at 166.0 F    154.0 F       

--  Drain Mash Tun 
 --  Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 4.99 gal of 168.0 F water. 
 --  Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.03 gal 
 --  Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.037 SG with all grains/extracts added

Enjoy!

-Joe

Hey Joe -

This looks really good, I was thinking about doing something just like this.

Question: Did you only ferment for 14 days total? 7 primary + 7 bottle?

Just curious as to how long these low gravity bitters need to ferment.

Thanks,

Chris

KozHops, it's 2-3 weeks on the yeast, before being bottled... Pretty much standard (these days) for a relatively low OG brew...

I'm going to add it to my list of 'coming soon' brews... I am planning on making my ESB, again, before it though. :D

Hi Chris,

No, 14 days in the primary. I keg after that, and it spends 2 weeks in the fridge carbing up.

I'm sure you could rush it, but I don't.

-Joe

Ok thanks Joe and Gold. I was looking at this recipe and your mild and was thinking about doing either of these.

All this started because I was reading Joy of Homebrewing this weekend and saw his "Righteous American Real Ale" that is ready to drink in 14-17 days. I started looking at for english bitters that could be consumed pretty quickly.

If you're kegging, you might get something ready to drink in under three weeks. But, if you're bottling, I can't see it being really ready to drink in less than a month. Even a really low OG brew would be on the yeast for 7-14 days, then need to bottle condition/carbonate for at least 2 weeks before drinking. Unless you have TIGHT control over your fermentation temperature (what temp the wort is at, not the air around the fermenter) I think you'll want to let it sit on the yeast a bit longer (2-4 weeks as a solid minimum range).

I won't even check on a brew before it's been going for at least two weeks. More often, when it's at 3 weeks on the yeast. My last English bitter was on the yeast for 3 weeks before it got bottled up. Damned good. The OG there was 1.052, FG was 1.010... I let it bottle condition/carbonate for 3 weeks before trying one. Damned good drinking... Need to make more (going to do the mash up better, since it was supposed to be stronger)...

Back