Hi! -->Noob from Albany, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a noob from Albany (NY) who just finished pitching my first batch ever (Scotch Ale 70/). I'm pretty sure this batch will end up being one of the notorious 'is my batch ruined' posts in a few weeks for a number of reasons:
-Added hot wort to *sort of* cold water, leading to a LONG cool down (3 hours?)
-Had to fish out the rubber stopper from the (full) wort/water mixture (with my hand (and most of my arm) after it fell in, since I couldn't find it any other way
-Probably pitched when wort was ~80 degrees (electronic thermometer frazzled out midway through cooling, so went with the 'sides don't feel warm' method)
-Added 3 trays of freezer ice cubes to wort to help cool it down (and bring pot to 5 gallons), without realizing the ice/tray/etc was unsanitized.
-Also, didn't get a chance to take a original hydrometer reading, as I didn't have anything suitable for holding the sample, and didn't want to throw the hydrometer into the full mixture and *further* contaminate it.
-Decided to add a tsp of cinnamon extract to the wort at the end of the boiling phase for the hell of it. Just reading now that it'll probably make my beer extra bitter instead of magically cinnamon.

In any event, it'll at least be an interesting experience, if not an interesting brew. I have a feeling I'll need to let this sit in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks, and in the bottles for 3-4 (months/years/decades?). This first batch was from the boxed kit from the lhbs, and I've got the ingredients for my next batch waiting in the wings (McEwans Scotch Ale clone). Now I just need to amass an army of empty bottles without my wife killing me!

Anyhow, hi all, and thanks in advance for the advice and comments on my future noob posts!

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your first batch!

As for your first brewing experience, you'll probably be OK, but you'll just need to wait and see. As many on this forum will tell you, don't give up on a batch of beer too soon! Anyway, it sounds like you have a good handle on things to improve for your next batch. It took me many batches to get my process down, and I'm still learning and trying to improve it.

Cheers,
Steve

Welcome to the board. Don't worry, it'll be beer. Did you get your kits from Hennessy's or Hamersmiths? Was in Hammersmiths once and not all that impressed with it. I might be able to hook you up with some bottles if you want. I have around 4-5 cases of emptys I don't really use since I've been kegging and could probably part with a couple. I work in Albany(for now) and we could probably meet up easy enough.

Welcome,

And don't worry, we've heard about brewing sessions harder than yours and the final product was Beer.

Did you get your kits from Hennessy's or Hamersmiths? Was in Hammersmiths once and not all that impressed with it.
I've bought all my stuff so far from Hammersmith's in Latham. While I don't really have the experience to compare their store to others, they were REALLY helpful/nice, and seemed very laid back. Prices seemed a bit high compared to online websites that I've looked at, but I guess that's expected and calculated in with the shipping costs.

I might be able to hook you up with some bottles if you want. I have around 4-5 cases of emptys I don't really use since I've been kegging and could probably part with a couple. I work in Albany(for now) and we could probably meet up easy enough.
I'd like that a lot! PM sent.

No, *I* get to give away MY bottles!

Seriously, I have about eight or ten cases' worth that are just taking up space in the basement. TAKE THEM ALL!

Hey it's a big hello from down the road.... We really need a brewclub in Albany..

Yeah, the closest thing I could find is in Saratoga Springs. They have an annual competition at the Pump Station (Oct/Nov period) that sounded interesting.

I used to brew years ago and am thinking about getting back into it... I think an Albany area club would be a great idea!

Back