Adjuncts & sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riastradh

Reaction score
Hey folks

I'm aware that people use mollasses, syrup and some lemonade and so forth for likes of poitín and beer and it got me wodnering if I could use something else. I'm really keen on the idea of using fudge to flavour my ale. Is this possible?

Like, if I calculate the amount of sugar in each weight of fudge could it serve as an adjunct or simply as the sugar used along side the yeast? Then again, I might have to worry about the substance...or I may just have to add more water to the liquified fudge then balance out the other ingredients.

Maybe there is a way of extracting the flavour alone?

Help would be appreciate!

Thanks!

personally i would just use coco or chocolate in my beer. both could be added near the end of the boil to sanitize.

I would think that fudge has too much fat in it. You could add unsweetened cocoa with 10 or so minutes left to boil.

^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Yup, just use the SEARCH function and you will find a bunch of info on this. Use Cocoa instead and if your thinking you want some of the sweetness from Fudge then use a small amount of lactose when bottling.

Back