Aquarium Heater help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am looking for reccomendations on aquarium heaters. I would like one that controls at about 62 or 64 degrees.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd recommend getting a controller rather than relying on the internal thermostat on the aquarium heater.

I am using a fish tank heater in a water bath. When I started fermentation, I was only using the heater and had to tinker with the settings to get it where I wanted it. Half-way through, the STC1000 I bought arrived and I built the box per instructions on this site. Been much happier with the consistency of the temperature since.

The best advantage of the controller is you can control the beer temperature rather than the environment temperature (surrounding air / water).

Are you using a thermowell to measure the temp?

I ended up going with the EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W. The heater works awesome. They only spec it down to 65°F, but with the control knob set all the way down, it is controlling my swamp cooler between about 62°F. $17 solution. Score! :D

Back