Corny blow-off question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
I'm doing a secondary fermentation in a couple of cornies and this is new for me.

If too much carnbonation is formed, will the keg automatically release it via the blow-off valve? I assume there safe till about +120psi.

Thx.

Yes, but it is really unlikely you'd get anywhere near the 135 psi typical for the relief valves. That would take 15-20 points of sugar.

Yes, but it is really unlikely you'd get anywhere near the 135 psi typical for the relief valves. That would take 15-20 points of sugar.

I hardly ever build much pressure in secondary. It's pretty much done by the time I rack to the corny at about Pitch + 14 days.
I pull the relief ring every couple days and otherwise forget it's down there (Temperature stable basement room) If I get anything at all, it's nothing more than a little "Pfft" << If that's a word?? :drunk:
I guess it depends - If you wait for primary fermentation to complete before you rack to secondary, I wouldn't worry about it.
Even if you seal it off at 50% attenuation, you'll wind up with close to properly carbonated beer - According to the guys that carbonate with spunding valves...
At room temperature that should be less than 40 PSI.

Check out some of the "Sanke fermenter" and spunding valve threads - There is a lot of information to be read about what happens to carbonate as part of primary fermentation - And by extension, what would happen if you seal your fermenter before primary fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back