Fermentation.....not seeing bubbles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwarn3

Reaction score
I brewed on Sunday and tonight ( Wednesday night) I noticed that my primary didn't have any bubbles being released through the airlock! Is this a bad sign? Did I jack something up? What could have I done wrong......or is it still fermenting and I'm just not seeing it?

You will normally see fermentation start about 12 to 24 hours after you pitch the yeast. I think there's something wrong.

How much did you cool your wort before pitching? Or maybe your yeast was old and dead.

I would go grab more yeast and pitch it.

I cooled it down to 70 degrees. It took a bit longer to cool down than I would have liked.....maybe a good 25 minutes!

Fermentation can take up to 72hrs to SEE visible signs if fermentation. That being said your airlock may not bubble depending in how well sealed the lid of your bucket is. If the seal is not airtight the co2 will escape between the lid and the bucket instead of through the airlock. If using a carboy it could be weak seal between bottle&stopper or stopper and airlock. If your worried and want to check before adding more yeast. Take a hydrometer sample and see if the FG had dropped any from your OG. I would wait till at least 72hrs then check the gravity if no signs of fermentation.

Only way to tell is to take a gravity reading. The airlock is not a fermentation gauge. Your bucket could be leaking. Have you opened it up to see if there is any krausen?

Your fermentation has started... your airlock is not a gauge of this, it's just a vent nothing else. It's only been 72 hours you don't have to worry about it till your about 18-21 days in, when you take your gravity reading before bottling... Most of my beers had airlock activity for 2-4 days, only one beer I had activity that lasted forever 3 weeks and that was a Belgian dubbel SG 1.090 but I pitched a 2.5L starter and kept temps golden....

Gently open the lid of your bucket and look for a ring of brown gunk above the beer. If there is no gunk, use your hydrometer to see if the gravity has dropped because that is a sure sign of fermentation. I have a fermenter that never bubbles so I use the "real" method to determine if it fermented.

Latest posts

Back