Beer Alchemy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybrown9

Reaction score
I have a few questions for everyone.

1) Is there a way to add water profiles in the drop down menu? I have sent
this question to the BA Feedback and also to Steve on this forum about a
week ago. I have yet to receive an answer.

2) When creating a recipe, it asks you how many yeast packs are used. Since
there is no provision for adding a yeast starter of any sort, would you use
the equivalent in packs so the program can correctly adjust the numbers?

3) When importing XML files, the hops always seem to drop off. What am I
not doing correctly?

Thanks for the help.

1) Click Beer Alchemy, then preferences, the last tab on the window is called 'My water'

2) The program ignores the amount of yeast and simply assumes optimal pitching. The fact that it let's you stipulate an amount is simply for your own reference. The program uses the characteristics for the strain, but doesn't attempt to account for over or under pitching. There is a pitching rate calculator if you click the 'calculators' button, however.

3) I dunno. I don't import xml's.

1) Click Beer Alchemy, then preferences, the last tab on the window is called 'My water'

Pretty sure he meant adding profiles to the list of targets (Burton, Dortmund, ...). I don't know of a way.

AFAIK the only thing the packs of yeast count will do is affect how many are decremented from your inventory upon batch creation.

AFAIK the only thing the packs of yeast count will do is affect how many are decremented from your inventory upon batch creation.

As well as the Suggest a Beer feature. This is what plans my next brew day. I just buy some of everything and let BA tell me what I can brew.

I have exported recipes from BeerSmith (BeerXML format) on my PC and used the Beer Alchemy app on my iPad to import the data/upload the data. It works pretty well but it is not perfect. I have noticed sometimes that things get changed, like malts and hops,etc. and I think it MAY have something to do with it not being in the ingredients database of Beer Alchemy so it tries to make some smart substitution. Still though, i've imported 13 recipes that have came over pretty well.

Could be 2 things, 1 your XML was not formatted correctly from whatever program you used or your experiencing some weird issues like me (maybe due to not having those ingredients).

Just received this back from Steve.

Hi Jeremy,
There isn't an easy way to add additional water profiles - there's a hard way but it involves editing the data files directly and you'd need to do it every time the app is updated as they are overwritten.

Cheers

Steve Flack
Kent Place Software

So there we have it.

Back