Cheap Recirculation tool @ HDepot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybear7

Reaction score
I saw this item on Home Depot's site:

Manifold.jpg

Here

I was thinking of hooking it up to my immersion chiller to recirculate wort. It has a barb already. They have them with more or less manifolds and in different sizes. I don't have a pump yet, but plan on getting one soon. I'd like to have the chiller set-up. Is there a reason this is a bad idea or won't work? Will it create to much pressure? Thanks

I don't see why this wouldn't work, but with that said a "L" shaped piece of copper will work just as well for getting fluid movement. I would say which ever is easier for you to use to go for it.

I don't have any copper tubing laying around. i guess I'll. Have to see what's cheaper.

I don't think it would work well. Assuming you want to use the top barb as an input and all three side barbs as outputs, you won't get much output pressure.

day_trippr said:
"I was thinking of hooking it up to my immersion chiller to recirculate wort."

I don't get it, either...

Cheers!

Hook it up to a pump an recirculate the wort to create a whirlpool.

Hook it up to a pump an recirculate the wort to create a whirlpool.

Ah, ok. The "hook it up to my immersion chiller" thing was confusing.

I agree with MalFet, the typical beer pump doesn't move enough volume fast enough to make a three-way "jet" work. One 1/2" pipe is about it...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
the typical beer pump doesn't move enough volume fast enough to make a three-way "jet" work. One 1/2" pipe is about it...

...especially when the outputs have a significantly greater combined area than the input.

To make a L out of some copper pipe should cost you about 5 bucks if you already have the equipment to sweat fittings.

dirtybear7 said:
What don't you understand?

I see what you are trying to do now. IMO, a short piece of copper tubing with either an elbow or a slight bend would be cheaper and more efficient.

Thanks! That is the kind of info I was looking for. I don't have a pump yet, so I was unaware of the pressure issue. I'll stick with bent copper tubing.

Latest posts

Back