Hot as Heck Brewday Documentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grasslands

Reaction score
So yeah, I thought I'd wait until the hottest weekend of the year to document a brewday for one of my newest recipes: an Imperial Red. Tried to make it a live-bloggy type thing too. On top of that, the SWMBO got horribly sick and our A/C decides to go south of the border. Awesome.

Anyways, rather than clog up the forums, the evidence of my labors is here...the longest post ever!

Should the impy red do this brewer proud, I'll post the recipe!

Prost!

:mug:

I brewed today too, and it was over 100 degrees in my garage during the boil, about 90 outside. Thankfully the humidity was rather low.

I was in FL about 3 weeks ago and the temps were about 95 during the day with about 70 degree dew points. Nasty!

I brewed two days ago at about 90. I've been brewing inside for the last few years, but lost my space so this was my first outdoors brew. Honestly, the heat was easy to deal with. All I could think about was trying to keep a boil when it's 25º in February. But the summer really doesn't matter to me because I have a dedicated fermentation freezer. I guess it's much worse for people without those.

Brewed in 102F to 105F temps on my back patio three times in the last few weeks! We do everything in those types of extremes around here, so no big deal. The hardest part is chilling, since my ground water is about 80F. I have to use a pond pump in an ice bath. I plan on brewing this 4th of July. The forcast is 97F, and I consider that to be a nice, cool day! :cross:

Yeah, this FL heat was no joke. It also seemed like when I got started Friday that it was just one thing going wrong or delaying me after another. The air conditioning going out was probably the worst. Ugggh.

Otherwise, I did end up with 7 gallons of Imperial Red. Thankfully I had a leftover yeast cake to dump the extra gallon onto from a red rye batch fermented with White Labs 004 Irish ale yeast. Now it's turned into a fun experiment! Impy Red on 001 and 004... We'll see how they go!

For any interested, the Le Roi Rouge Imperial Red brewed on the hottest day of the year has dropped from 1.070 to 1.013 (76% attenuation) in just under a week and tastes somewhere in between Lagunitas' Imperial Red and Fort Collins' Red Banshee at the moment.

Thank the lord for Willamette hops! Can't wait to see how this sucker finishes up!

grasslands said:
for any interested, the le roi rouge imperial red brewed on the hottest day of the year has dropped from 1.070 to 1.013 (76% attenuation) in just under a week and tastes somewhere in between lagunitas' imperial red and fort collins' red banshee at the moment.

Thank the lord for willamette hops! Can't wait to see how this sucker finishes up!

image-2771321884.jpg

Like Revvy, I've been avoiding these hot days. But, I'm not working on my keezer. I'm working on my ulcer by sucking back my homebrews!

Good luck guys... we've had 100+ 3 times in the past week (including today).

My next brew day will be in about a week or so. I want to have a mexican brew ready for Labor day!

I feel your pain, here in Texas we rarely see a cool day in the summer. On top of it, my first brew got rained out on a clear hot day! Just keep on keepin' on. :)

Latest posts

Back