Priming my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGIG692

Reaction score
I thought you added the priming sugar to the batch and then bottled soon after. I read in my book that you should wait a couple of days so there isnt to much carbonation and the bottles explode. Can someone finalize this for me please.

i have always bottled after adding priming sugar and never had a bottle blow yet. This is the first i have heard of waiting to bottle.

I have always just added a simple syrup corn sugar solution to my bottle-filling bucket right before I bottle. As long as you are using the right amount depending on the beer you shouldn't have a problem. I have no idea about waiting. This has always worked for me and I've never had a batch 'splode.

LegitBrew said:
I have always just added a simple syrup corn sugar solution to my bottle-filling bucket right before I bottle. As long as you are using the right amount depending on the beer you shouldn't have a problem. I have no idea about waiting. This has always worked for me and I've never had a batch 'splode.

+1
Approx 5ozs to 5 gallons. Boils priming sugar in two cups of water, boil, let cool. Add to bottling bucket. Rack from primary into bottling bucket. Bottle, cap and put in dark place. Condition for appropriate amount of time for style of beer.
Slainte

As a noob myself I see the very minimum process leading up to bottling as follows:

Make sure with a hydrometer that the beer has finished fermenting. (You need to get the same reading at two days running)

Use one of the many calculators available, how much priming sugar to use.

Boil up a bit of water, enough to disolve the sugar.

Pour the cooled sugar solution into the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack the beer onto it avoiding splashing.

Stir GENTLY to ensure that the sugar solution is well distributed and bottle.

Just a note: I said that this was a very minimum process because according to a lot of what I have read on the forum tells me to go for a longer primary fermentation.

MGIG692 said:
I thought you added the priming sugar to the batch and then bottled soon after. I read in my book that you should wait a couple of days so there isnt to much carbonation and the bottles explode. Can someone finalize this for me please.

I have never, ever heard of that... I always bottle right after mixing the priming sugar into the wort.

I have never, ever heard of that... I always bottle right after mixing the priming sugar into the wort.

Me neither. If you waited to bottle, the priming sugar would ferment out (it's a very small amount and would ferment out very quickly) and then you'd have flat beer. Weird (bad) advice.

yeah, i asked the guy at the homebrew store. i could have very well misunderstood something in the book. thanks for the input. another Q, if it tastes like crap now, will it taste like crap later?

MGIG692 said:
yeah, i asked the guy at the homebrew store. i could have very well misunderstood something in the book. thanks for the input. another Q, if it tastes like crap now, will it taste like crap later?

It depends. Can you elaborate on the crap flavor?

if it tastes like crap now, will it taste like crap later?

Yes.

Some flavors mellow and meld, but if it tastes really bad now it won't magically get 100% better.

But it really depends on what the "crap" flavor is. If it's a bit too roasty, that will fade. If it's a bit yeasty, that will improve.

But if it's foul, due to contamination, a poor recipe, poor ingredients, etc, then it won't get much better and it may get worse.

Back