First challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fist96

Reaction score
Question; this is my first batch. My stove along with the stainless steel kettle is barely keeping the wort boiling. Should I pitch this one and start over with an aluminum kettle or will this batch be good to let ferment?

It will be fine.
Are you boiling 5 or more gallons? Next time: You may need to reduce the size of your boil if your stove is not hot enough.

It was a 2.5 gal boil. Thanks for the info. For a while I just wanted to shoot the stove.

you can get the water boiling hard with a lid on, then add everything. that might help a little. make sure you keep the lid off after adding the ingredients, though. there is a chemical called dms that makes beer BITTER!!!!! if it doesn't get boiled out

Just did my first batch a little over a week ago and I had the same problem on the stove. So I put the lid on to get it to boil after a few drinks and was not being as vigilant as I should have. There is still brew grime on the stove that I gave up on trying to get off. For now on I'm going to use a propane burner outside and dial in my sober brew skills before I get my feel good brew skills on again haha.

If you have one of those BBQ's with the side burner they usually burn hotter than the kitchen stove. Usually good enough for small batches. That's what I used when I first started off doing 5 gallon extract kits. Now that I'm doing all-grain with full boils though I've upgraded to the turkey burner.

Well the first batch is done, in the carboy, all I can do now is wait and see what comes from my first try. Thanks for the idea's this will help me the next time around.

It's hard to believe you can't get 2.5 gallons to boil, even just a little.

If it's electric, make sure it ain't turning itself off because of the high heat, some models do that.

If it's a gas stove, make sure your burner's don't have different supplies. I think my stove has one 12 MBH burner, two 10 MBH burners, and one 7 MBH burner. They are designed for either simmer, cook, or boil.

It's hard to believe you can't get 2.5 gallons to boil, even just a little.

If it's electric, make sure it ain't turning itself off because of the high heat, some models do that.

If it's a gas stove, make sure your burner's don't have different supplies. I think my stove has one 12 MBH burner, two 10 MBH burners, and one 7 MBH burner. They are designed for either simmer, cook, or boil.

That's exactly what it was doing, it was turning itself off and on because of the high heat. I was trying to look at the manual for it, but it really wasn't much help. And the other large burner was doing the same thing.

Back