Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conboss

Reaction score
I have a can of Munton's Nut Brown Ale. I was just wondering what the starting SG should be?? I would like this ale to be around 5% AVB but I don't want the cider taste from adding a bunch of sugar. I'm using Munton's active brewing yeast in the yellow packs. I do have 3 lbs of unhopped light dry malt if I need to add any.
I did do a search before I wrote this post and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks,
Greg

Use the Muntons with the 3 pounds of DME and you will get an OG of approximately 1.052 for a 5 gallon batch. If it finishes out at 1.012 your alcohol will be about 5.2% ABV. (Don't use any sugar except for bottling)
Should make for a nice beer. Let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

By the way,
Welcome to the forum!:mug:

RichBrewer said:
Use the Muntons with the 3 pounds of DME and you will get an OG of approximately 1.052 for a 5 gallon batch. If it finishes out at 1.012 your alcohol will be about 5.2% ABV. (Don't use any sugar except for bottling)
Should make for a nice beer. Let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

By the way,
Welcome to the forum!:mug:

Rich,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I found that all I had 2lbs of dry light malt extract and 2lbs of corn sugar. I decided to make it as is, I want to have some homebrew for Thanksgiving and my HB store is only open part time, I'd have to wait till Wednesday before he's open.
I ended up with an SG of 1.040 with 6 gallons so I'm going to end up with an ABV of around 4.0 to 4.3%.

Greg

Baron von BeeGee said:
That's actually not a bad gravity for an easy drinking brown ale, anyways.
That is an excellent point. I've somehow gotten myself into the habit of brewing all my beers with an OG of over 1.050.

I did a Canadian Blonde Ale using dry malt and corn sugar and it turned out excellent. It had an ABV of 4.1%. I’ve been making wine for sometime and it has always been my goal to make a good tasting brew not jet fuel. This is my 3rd batch of beer.
I had some HB Nut Brown Ale that had an ABV of 5% and it tasted really good, that is what I was shooting for. I’ll be happy with 4% beer as long as it taste good.

Greg

Browns work best around 4%. If you push the ABV much higher, you almost always end up with a porter or a bitter.

I racked my nut brown ale today, started it on Saturday. The starting SG was 1.040 and it was 1.006 today which will give me 4.6% AVB, not to shabby. I'm going to leave it in the carboy for 9 days because I have reserves this weekend and the weekdays are far to hectic for me to bottle. I tasted the wort and it had a nice nutty flavor with a little bitter aftertaste. I have had this type of beer before with an aftertaste that was very bitter, it wasn't bad but you could only drink a couple. I'm very pleased with how it tasted. I'll let everyone know how it tastes in 6 weeks.

Greg

Echo david_42 - my Midnight Oil recipe pushes the boundaries of the brown ale style in both color and ABV. In fact, a buddy with a pretty "uneducated palate" likened it to Guinness (it's more like a lightly hopped 5% porter). The "almost a porter" effect was what I wanted. The OG is 1.055, which is 5 points over the BJCP style limit of 1.050.

Bottled the Nut Brown Ale today, I got 50 16oz bottles. The ABV was 4.6%. Tasted very good, nice nutty flavor offset with a mild bitter hopp flavor. I'll try it again in a couple of weeks and let you know how it's aging.

Greg

Back