Stove-Top Test Batches OR How to Beat Old Man Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
So here's what I do for the winter. Everybody knows brewing in 15 degree weather sucks, and my hose for my chiller is frozen solid. I use the time to play with ingredients and make some fun test batches.

I don't like using a 6 gallon better bottle on 2.5 gallons of beer, so I just use the 2.5 gallon water jugs from Wal-Mart. I freeze 1 quart of the spring water, then use Brita filtered tap water (Cleveland Municipal) for whatever else I need.

This is pretty much everything I need: Water (1 QT frozen), filter, plastic mash paddle, hydrometer and tube, ph strips, thermometer, 5 gallon kettle with BIAB bag, 3 feet of beer line, funnel, and a universal carboy bung.

DSC01340.jpg

Heating the strike water.

DSC01344.jpg

Doughed in. Mash at 152. Into the oven for 60 minutes. I heat the oven to 175 then turn it off.

DSC01345.jpg

I quick test of the mash shows I'm lookin good.

DSC01350.jpg

After the mash I've only lost 0.3 degrees.

DSC01355.jpg

Mash is done. Draining the bag.

DSC01358.jpg

The boil. Hops in mini plastic tubs.

DSC01359.jpg

Flame out. Add the 1 QT ice. This will get it to about 110 pretty quickly, then off to the sink for a cold water bath. My tap water is pretty damn close to 32 right now, so total cooling time is only about 20 min.

DSC01362.jpg

Pop the top off of the 2.5 gallon water jug.

DSC01347.jpg

Pour in your cooled wort. Tell the beagle to get out of your shot like 6 times.

DSC01364.jpg

Pitch yeast. Well look at that. A universal carboy bung fits right in there, and some beer line is the same size as an airlock.

DSC01366.jpg

Ready to go in the basement. That's a little more than 2 gallons in the water jug.

DSC01367.jpg

I did two batches back to back today and split a pack of US-05.

DSC01370.jpg

Well there you have it. Maybe you can get some test batches knocked out too.

These are looking pretty good right now. Fermentation is rockin and the bungs are keeping a good seal on the water jugs.

Well I haven't been on here in a while. Life got pretty busy.

I'm FINALLY just tapped this keg. They sat on the yeast cake for 3 1/2 months, and then in the keg for another 2 weeks. I can definitely say autolysis is a myth, because these taste great.

It was my first time using Citra. A bit powerful for an all-Citra recipe with a dry hop, but I will be mixing them in with some other hops in the future.

Mash is done. Draining the bag.

The boil. Hops in mini plastic tubs.

Flame out. Add the 1 QT ice. This will get it to about 110 pretty quickly, then off to the sink for a cold water bath. My tap water is pretty damn close to 32 right now, so total cooling time is only about 20 min.

Pop the top off of the 2.5 gallon water j
Pour in your cooled wort. Tell the beagle to get out of your shot like 6 times.

Awesome dog!!! Beagles don't listen, but it's hard to stay mad at them (I have 3).

Back