A gift?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I went to a brew club meeting tonight and one of the extract brewers accidentally ordered an all grain kit. He didn't want the grain so he gave it to me. I'm thankful for the free grain, but I am a little concerned about what to do with it. He said it was a kit he ordered, so I have no idea what the grains actually are. He already used the hops, so I don't even know what those are. This is a link to the kit:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6245

The grains are already crushed and probably a month or two old. I'd hate to see free grain go to waste, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

I'm an all-grain brewer, but I am concerned about not knowing what the grains are and not knowing exactly how long they have been crushed.

I guess if I reuse a yeast cake I wont be out too much money, I just don't want to waste my time if it's going to end up sucking.

Well if it's an IPA it's probably some 2 row with a few special grains. I don't know how long crushed grains keep but I would take a smell and taste them to see if they taste allright. If they do, just throw it together and see what comes of it.

Dan

get a cheep packet of dry yeast some 2 row and just go for it. If worse comes to worse your out $10.
Have fun with it. Call it "F*CK If I Know" Ale

I was at that meeting, that old guy was pretty cool. I say just make a mystery brew and see what happens. Will set ya back what 10 15 bucks?

Cheers

Pumbaa said:
Call it "F*CK If I Know" Ale

I think I'm going to have to make it just so I can give a beer that name. :rockin:

I can see the converstions now:

"What are you drinking?"
"F*ck if I Know."
"How can you not know, it's your beer? And what's on second?"
and so on.

I can see this leading to an entire series of beers, "This Beer Ale", "Who cares IPA", "Piss Off Porter". The possibilities are endless.

wop31 said:
I was at that meeting, that old guy was pretty cool. I say just make a mystery brew and see what happens. Will set ya back what 10 15 bucks?

Cheers

Yeah he was. It's too bad he had to leave a little early.

I don't think it will even cost me that much. If I use an old yeast cake all I'll really have to buy is hops, so maybe it'll cost $5-$6 at the most. If it turns out that the grains are too stale, I guess all I really lose is about four hours of my time. That seems worth it. Even if it sucks it'll still be drinkable and you can't beat beer that is almost free.

robnog said:
I can see this leading to an entire series of beers, "This Beer Ale", "Who cares IPA", "Piss Off Porter". The possibilities are endless.

I like this idea:

Water Ale
Wine Stout
Cyanide-Laced Kool-Aid Pale Ale

robnog said:
Yeah he was. It's too bad he had to leave a little early.

I don't think it will even cost me that much. If I use an old yeast cake all I'll really have to buy is hops, so maybe it'll cost $5-$6 at the most. If it turns out that the grains are too stale, I guess all I really lose is about four hours of my time. That seems worth it. Even if it sucks it'll still be drinkable and you can't beat beer that is almost free.

Holy Sh*t! Do you have Minus the Bear on your signature??

Back