What do you think of this Imperial Hefeweizen Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
12lbs Wheat Liquid Extract
4oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

boil 60 mins 1.25 Zeus

Pitched onto Weihenstephan Weizen yeast cake from previous Hefewiezen Fermentation

8.8% ABV
28.0 IBU

Somebody who does a lot of extract brewing needs to chime in here, but from what I recall...Extracts tend to finish with a higher FG than if you were to mash the grain yourself. For a beer that big, I would mash really long and low to get a more fermentable wort. With extract, you're stuck with whatever temperature the manufacturers mashed at (154°?). An all extract brew that big will end up finishing high and be cloyingly sweet. My suggestion would be to cut out a few pounds of the extract and replace with table sugar. That should dry it out some. :mug:

Meh, kind of yes and no. You'll probably get 70 - 75% attenuation if the fermentation doesn't get stuck.

I did a barleywine with 10lbs of DME. The fermentation did get stuck around 60% and I had to repitch. Repitching a starter on mine resulted in 80% attenuation.

Some honey to help dry it out and lighten the body might help it to not get stuck and keep it from taking on a wheat bock like character.

I don't know that I'd call it a weizenbock with no Munich malt in it, and he is very close to the upper limit of IBUs. Not to mention Zeus isn't typical for weizenbocks.

It's not a wizenbock. First, I'm not shooting for "Rich, bock-like melanoidins and bready malt combined with a powerful aroma of dark fruit (plums, prunes, raisins or grapes)". I just want it to be a stronger Hefe. I don't want the "rich strength and body of a bock," necessarily either. The book "Designing Great Beers" explains the history behind wizenbocks, and it's not just a stronger version of the Hefe, like what I'm making. Besides, it's probably closer to a "wheatwine". However, Pyramid Brewing calls theirs an Imperial Hefe. So I'll follow them.

If you're using Weihenstephan yeast, you're likely to get a result similar to Vitus...
DCP05196.JPG

...which is a weizenbock.

Except for the lack of Munich malt and European hops, which would put it into #23 regardless of what he calls it.

What ever it's name, it's bound to taste interesting.

If you like hefes, big beers, and Zeus hops, I think you'll like it. It's definitely worth trying. It will probably take more aging than your typical hefe, though.

For my taste buds, I'd change it to DME because I thought I had better results with DME than LME. I'd use 1 or 2 lbs of honey, Candi sugar, or agave nectar to keep the body light. And I'd change the hops to Perle, Saaz, Tennanger, Wlliamette, and/or Progress because I like European hops more than American hops.

If you're using Weihenstephan yeast, you're likely to get a result similar to Vitus...
DCP05196.JPG

...which is a weizenbock.

Agreed, Vitus tastes alot like an Imperial hefe to me if there were such a thing. The great thing about weizenbocks is how they can span from the lighter to the more dark and rich.

I just wanted to let everyone know how this turned out. We basically pitched the recipe on a Hefe yeastcake from the Weihestaphan clone (which is near exact). I went climbing, and the temperature rose to 85 and I couldn't be around to regulate, meaning the brew was nearly 83-84' with the cooling I had setup. This was too hot and made BANNANAs everywhere. So I had 4oz Chinook hops, we dry-hopped it with them to cover up some bannana. The final beer was excellent. I highly reccomend it if you have a yeast cake and don't know what to do with it.

Sounds great.
Also, there are definitely pale weizenbocks. They aren't all dunkels, there are definitely helles versions.

Latest posts

Back