5 gallons for every beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrRolf

Reaction score
Just a general question. Every one I talk to says to boil 6 gallons of water, because you'll lose about a gallon along the way. Is that just the standard for beer kits?

It depends how long you boil for, whether you cover, and how big your boil is. I tend to lose about 5 liters.

Yeah, I think that you really need to get your process figured out and take some notes. Then you can tweak a little here and there to get things consistently where you want them.

It depends how long you boil for, whether you cover, and how big your boil is. I tend to lose about 5 liters.

Covering is a bad idea, BTW. It holds stuff in (sulfur compounds, I believe) that can cause nasty flavors in your brew.

yes, a 60 minute rolling boil will reduce your wort volume 3-5L. More than that & you are wasting heat. Less than that and you may not be maintaining temperature, which impacts alpha acid utilization.

Back