Vanilla Dream Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Brotherbill

Reaction score
Let me know what everyone thinks about this experiment.

1 Gallon Batch

3lbs Walmart Clover Honey
4 teabags of Earl Grey Tea
1 Teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient
1 pack of Montrachet Yeast

Hydrate yeast in dish of warm water.

Bring about a quart of water to boil place teabags in and step for five minutes. Take of heat and disolve honey in pot of tea. Place in primary with teaspoon of nutrient. Top off with remaining gallon of water. Check temperature of primary to see that it is just above room temperature. Pitch Yeast and airlock. Agitate as much as possible during the whole ordeal.

Once again I forget to take OG.:mad: Work sheet in the sticky post says it should be around 1.085. So we will see what this finishes at. Might be a bit dry for me.:eek:

3 hours later got bubbles and airlock activity.

When I rack to the secondary I'm going to thoss in two vanilla beans and let that age to bring out the vanilla flavor. Might have to back sweeten a little to please the girlfriend. I heard brown sugar might help with the vanilla flavor. Is this an option or should I just use honey for sweetening.

I'm already pleased with my second batch. Yeah me!

Yeah, with Montrachet it will likely be dry, even with 3lbs/gal of honey. If it were me I'd probably go with the honey for backsweetening, although you might dose it with Campden/sorbate either before or after the secondary to make sure fermentation doesn't start up again. Some of the more experienced meadmakers on here can probably advise you better. But it does sound like a nice recipe though. Earl Grey with vanilla & honey, only with a kick. Nice!

You may want to reconsider two beans for 1 gallon. Most recipes I've seen went half a bean per gallon, or one for three. I remember someone saying they did a whole bean for one gallon in the primary and they got a vanilla flavour that hadn't aged out by (I think it had been) 6 months. You may know something I don't, but just in case.

Back