Corks flying everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpionage

Reaction score
A friend of mine bottled his mead some months ago and now all the corks are blowing everyday. The mead was bulk aging in a 20L bucket. He is not in the country and he asked me if i can do something so the mead dont go to waste.

I was thinking to remove the remaining corks to let the gas out and re-cork them but since i dont have potassium sorbate to ensure the fermentation stops im afraid it will happen again.

Carefully remove the remaining corks, put the mead back in a suitably sized carboy, then leave it under airlock for a few more montha

I was thinking to remove the remaining corks to let the gas out and re-cork them but since i dont have potassium sorbate to ensure the fermentation stops im afraid it will happen again.

They are likely refermenting, so sorbate will not do anything, since it does not stop a ferment anyway. The must needs to be stable at FG, free of yeast cells, before being dosed with sorbate and k-meta. No need to add these two unless you are then backsweetening.

+1 on the carefully uncork, decant to carboy, take SG, apply airlock & let ferment finish up.

Alternatively, uncork, place bottles in a water bath and take them up to 150ºF or so, then recork.

Alternatively, uncork, place bottles in a water bath and take them up to 150ºF or so, then recork.
Which is warm enough to cause temperature damage to the product!

So like all suggestion of heating/pasteurisation techniques is a very poor idea for a beverage like this....... pasteurisation was developed to handle bacterial issues in dairy food stuffs and even then its not perfect. It doesnt mean its suitable for everything, certainly not alcoholic drinks (unless you have a big factory to repair damage from heating).....

+1 on the decanting to suitably sized fermenter and leaving under airlock.......

How exactly does brief pasteurization cause damage?
Evaporates alcohol, changes flavour profiles, can set pectins, etc. If cooking alcoholic beverages worked we'd all be doing it.

The only heating generally used is beer worts and theres no alcohol or fermented flavours at that stage is there. The heating is for mashing/conversion of starches etc.

Its a bit like people wanting to heat honey musts. You can do that, it may even help sort raw honey proteins so its less like to foam like hell, etc. Yet people forget, most of the recipes that suggest that part in a process of making, was because people thought honey needed pasteurising. Archaic recipes......the heating was likely more to sanitise the water.

Pasteurisation comes from a time before anti-biotics and mass testing of cattle for bovine TB etc. It was adopted wholesale by food industry to help with extending shelf life and so they didn't get sued. It can help but isn't necessary.

With booze, correctly made, its the alcohol that is the preservative. With beers you need a higher level of sanitation generally as there's less preservative qualities what with lower alcohol etc.

If this is chucking corks about its been made poorly and has been rushed to the bottle.

Putting back into a carboy redresses that. Rather than adding a potentially damaging stage to it.

Hell you could probably bubble ozone through it too, as commonly done in food processing, but I'd suspect that'd b3 a bad idea too.....

Back