clumping yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Reaction score
hello all it is my first time using ec-1118 and it is clumpy and shooting clumps up through my starter. Is this normal? here is a link of exactly what my starter is doing,but mine is shooting up a little larger yeast balls

Last edited by a moderator:
The co2 is being produced in the yeast and the bubbles are carrying them up. Imagine orange juice pulp in a mimosa. Ec-1118 is pretty turbocharged, maybe a more violent fermentation than you are used to.

If those are yeast clumps there is no reason why you cannot clean/sanitize your hands and break the clumps apart, or a thorough mixing. I was taught to break apart yeast clumps.
On a side note, I have witnessed starters made from apple juice/cider develop like this and many times it is pectin related. Is that an apple juice based starter by chance?
I kept waiting for the theme music from Jaws to start playing.

Just a vigorous fermentation. When you chill the beer to pour off the unneeded liquid, it will all re-mix just fine in the wort.

Back