getting started in electrical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob1484

Reaction score
i'm tossing around the idea of leaving software dev and cubicles behind. I've been thinking about calling up the local union hall and seeing about starting an electrician apprenticeship or maybe go another route to play with shocky things.
I'm looking for some input here, anything and everything.

Its a tough time to enter the trades. Most construction unions have cancelled their new apprenticeships because half (or more) of the members are layed off. As a union electrician I love my job but make sure you do alot of research before making a life decision like that.....especially in this economy.

As a union carpenter in the northwest and an apprentice, i think it's not a good idea. The trades are limiting new applicants and our lists for out of work have been increasing. I have been thinking of joining the military even. Only been worked six months for the last two years.

Thanks for the honest input. There isn't much union talk here in south alabama so I really don't know very much about it. Can you give me an overview how your locals work? I know it can vary from one to another but the basic idea should be the same right?

What do you want to do? Do you have a local community college where you could take courses?

What do you want to do? Do you have a local community college where you could take courses?

I'm interested in electrical work but I'm really not sure what my options are there.
The closest community college doesn't have much in the way of adult education unless I wanted to be a dental assistant... (no thanks)

I would recommend not going the union route, as you will find it easier to get and keep employment as a non-union electrician (at least in my area anyway). As stated before, it's tough right now because there just isn't enough work to go around, but if you can prove yourself by being a little better than most, you can prolly find employment and get into an apprenticeship program. I'd suggest talking to some local electrical shop owners in your area first, and seeing if they think that there's any hope of finding employment.

Back