The oldest bars/pubs in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road trip! :ban:

I've been to McSorley's and thought it was great. Sawdust on the floor, bar cat swaggering around, begging for treats. Congenial crowd, too. An oasis of sanity, really, in that city.

Sadly, that's the only one I can check off the list.

Now, my life has a purpose...:p

Thats great. I live in a state where something is REALLY old if it was around before Prohibition and interesting if it stayed open though Prohibition. The oldest bar in Miami is Tobacco Road. it opened in 1912. Unfortunately, the land on which it sold in 2012 for 12.5 million because even post 2008, the lot was surrounded by megadollar high rise condo buildings that had been built since 2000 or so. It survived prohibition, the real estate bust of 1926-27, the Great Depression, subsequent crashes, drug wars and gentrifications. Back int he bad old early to mid 80's, it was the place that still played blues and jazz when they were not hip. Some employees are trying to buy the business and move it about a block away. Hopefully that will work out, but how much cheaper do you figure is the new lot going to be? it won't be the same. Such things never are.

I'd love to take a road trip & visit the ones the founding fathers congregated at. The Golden Lamb in Lebanon, OH should've been mentioned as well. Washington & Sam Clemons among other notables stayed, drank & ate there. You can still read the guestbook of original signatures. Food & drink was quite good. The cool part about the town is there laws governing the keeping up of the original structural styles. The Golden Lamb certainly does this.:mug:

The Bell in hand is a cool place. I work out with the owner when he's around. He got the bar and the whole building in the 70's when he lent a guy some money. The guy couldn't pay and gave him the property. He's worth a lot of money now.

Back