Stone Smoked Porter mash time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grummle

Reaction score
I recently got the book 'The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.'

My wife 'requested' (read let me use joint account funds :)) to brew the smoked porter (one of her favs).

The recipie shown word for word here calls for a 10min mash at 157 followed jumping to 165(mash out?) and then lautering. I've never seen a 10min mash. Is this a misprint or just new to me?

The recipe for Levitation also calls for a 10 minute mash, Stone Pale Ale calls for 20 minute mash, 8th Anniversary Ale calls for 30 minute mash, 9th Anniversary = 30 min mash, and there are a couple more recipes with 30 minute or less mash times. Has anyone followed these recipes to the letter? Can anybody comment on on it? Thanks.

I can't remember if I read it or heard it but Stone believes and others that mashing for 20 minutes is all you need for conversion I have made the Stone pale ale in the book in 1 gallon volume with a 20 minute mash and a 60 minute mash in an experienment. The traditional 60 minute mash was much better. Deeper profile and taste. I didn't take a hydrometer reading due to low volume but I would be confident in saying my efficiency was much better with 60 minute mash.

20 minutes may work on the commercial level but on the BIAB home level I would go for a longer mash. The worst thing that can happen is you will have a bigger beer. That isn't so bad.

Thanks for the reply, I brewed this yesterday but was not ready to try a 10 minute mash. Went with 45 minutes. Missed my temp low by a couple degrees and corrected it after about 15 minutes. We'll see how it turns out.

Back