Potentially overtightened the brass fitting on an SQ14?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
Just yesterday I opened up my new SQ14 Bayou Classic burner. It didn't come with instructions, so I found a general purpose manual online. The directions had me to tighten the brass fitting with a wrench, so I tightened as much as I could with my hands, and finished with the wrench. I tightened it until I couldn't easily torque it any longer.

Reading on the forums, it seems that just snug would have been fine. I'm worried that I may have overtightened and compromised the fitting. Would it be better or worse for me to undo it and re-tighten to simply snug (one or two revolutions with a wrench), or would doing that make this situation go from bad to worse?

I ran it yesterday and it appeared to run fine, although I can already tell I'll need to figure out how to optimize my flame. I currently just have very small blue flames, and anything larger gets blown out.

Back