Mashed a little too high...sugar in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
So in my second all grain BIAB batch I put together a chocolate milk stout, but due to a typo in my directions, I mashed a little too high and didn't get as many fermentables as I would have wished. It went from a 1.061 OG down to about a 1.023. I expected it to attenuate a little lower for a tiny bit more ABV. It's now in its second week in secondary, sitting on top of some cacao nibs and a vanilla bean. If I added just basic sugar (or even some DME?) at this point, would I get some more ABV out of it without thinning it out or ruining the product? Should I just be happy with the stout as it is? Its not like it falls out of style limits or anything, I just wanted a slight bit more ABV to this one. Thanks!

You might but I wouldn't. 1023 should make for a nice thick milky mouth feel. Don't do anything until you taste a chilled sample. I think you have a happy accident here.

You might but I wouldn't. 1023 should make for a nice thick milky mouth feel. Don't do anything until you taste a chilled sample. I think you have a happy accident here.

I've pretty much relegated myself to leaving it as is. I do think this will be a tasty brew though...a little hazelnut extract at bottling and I'll have my Brew-tella stout:rockin: There was some cocoa powder in the boil, a pound of lactose, plus what's in the secondary right now.
Thanks for the advice!

Back