Is it just me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sense is that Hop Devil is not nearly as malty as AB. I like them both, but AB seems to have a bit more of a backbone to it. Just my sense, they're both great beers but I'd take AB.

My wife, who is decidedly NOT a hop-head, can't stand Hop Devil but really liked AB. Take that for what it's worth.

I agree with bird, AB is too malty for me. Hop Devil is g-u-d good!

todd_k said:
I agree with bird, AB is too malty for me. Hop Devil is g-u-d good!

Well, that you DISAGREE with me, 'cause Hop Devil isn't malty enough for me. I think A-B, for all its bluster, is actually a very well-balanced beer. Hop Devil is a little too, I almost want to say a little bit too thin for me. I like it, I'll buy it again, but I really like to taste and feel some malt with the aggressive hops. But, we agree that they are not all that alike.

I havent seen Hop Devil around here yet. Hopefully I will soon. But A-B is great. I always am able to keep a couple bombers of it in the fridge. THats one beer SWMBO wont touch.

Anyone had Weyerbacher's Simcoe Double IPA? I really like the idea of specializing your IPA's with individual hope varieties. That one is really good---not sure about Weyerbacher's distribution range, though. We carry it at our store here in VA, but we're just a state away from PA, so who knows. If you can find this one, go for it---it's a monument to Simcoe, which IMHO is a beautiful variety.

Back