Quick question on IC storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Just busted out my new immersion chiller for the first time. Cleaned the outside and whatnot, but what about the water still inside? I can drain some of it, but it is still noticeably heavier with water weight than it was originally. Is it necessary to shoot some compressed air through it or something, or am I just worrying over nothing? :confused: Thanks!

Run hot water through it before and after brewing to ensure it is free from the plague. I turn mine upside down to drain out as much water as I can, then plug the flare fittings I installed on each end of the copper tube.
jude_055.JPG

I don't do anything other than maybe draining out the water that is left in the chiller. I'm mostly concerned with the outside.

I keep mine in an orange Homer bucket. The pic above is a CFC (counter flow chiller), not an IC (immersion chiller) like the OP asked about.

This is an IC and I have one just like it from Morebeer.com

ImmersionChiller-Morebeer.jpg

That's the beauty of an IC -- no need to worry about cleaning the inside. Nothing bad will happen, if you just let it sit wherever/however after use. I just spray the outside of mine with the house and give it a quick wipe down -- then off to the storage area. No need to clean insides.

Back