Priming Solution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
Just a quick (and probably simple) question.

I understand how making a priming solution (sugar + water > Boil > Cool > Carefully mix) is more consistent than priming each bottle with dry sugar BUT....

How does adding sugar water to a beer not water it down? The yeast consume the sugar to create the CO2 so that just leaves the water that the sugar was dissolved in right?

How does that work?

if you are adding one cup of water to a five gallon batch of beer, it will not make a difference.

It's due to the small amount of water in question. 1 cup of water, at absolute most, into 5 gallons is nothing anyone would notice.

Edit: doh! Someone beat me to it. :)

Right- I use about 1/2 cup of water and 4 ounces of priming sugar. In fact, you'll be adding a very small amount of fermentables, increasing the final ABV of the beer very slightly.

1/2 cup of beer in 5 gallons is literally a drop (or 20) in the bucket! :D

So for my Mr. (noob) Beer batch I should be making a solution of 1/4 cup water + approx 1/3 cup sugar?

Didn't realize it was such a small amount of water compared to the amount of beer :eek:

Yeh what he said...up there.

...the sugar water, when acted upon by the yeast, will create C02 and alcohal, so it is not diluting your beer.

So for my Mr. (noob) Beer batch I should be making a solution of 1/4 cup water + approx 2oz sugar?

Didn't realize it was such a small amount of water compared to the amount of beer :eek:

We're talking about ounces of sugar by weight, by the way. Not volume, which is a different measurement.

I don't know about Mr. Beer- if you add the priming sugar solution to the Mr. Beer fermenter, you'd have to mix it up with the sediment in there. I'm no expert on Mr. Beer (only saw one once) but I didn't think that it was used with a bottling bucket. Usually, the priming solution is added to a bottling bucket and then the beer racked (siphoned) from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. That's what we're talking about here. If you're not using a bottling bucket. I'd still do the individual sugar additions.

We're talking about ounces of sugar by weight, by the way. Not volume, which is a different measurement.

I don't know about Mr. Beer- if you add the priming sugar solution to the Mr. Beer fermenter, you'd have to mix it up with the sediment in there. I'm no expert on Mr. Beer (only saw one once) but I didn't think that it was used with a bottling bucket. Usually, the priming solution is added to a bottling bucket and then the beer racked (siphoned) from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. That's what we're talking about here. If you're not using a bottling bucket. I'd still do the individual sugar additions.

I may just make a do-it-yourself bottling bucket if thats the case. I plan to move away from the Mr. Beer eventually so it wouldn't hurt to have one I guess.

Back