stabilizer and aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
First off, im a little new at the mead/wine biz. Ive done several batches of melomels but i still dont know if Im going about it the right way. My question is this:

Do i need to stabilize the mead before bottling? If so, does it still benefit from bulk aging once the sorbate has been applied? Should i bulk age first, while the yeast is alive?

How do you guys approach this?

Thanks in advance!

There's no need to stabilize if you're fermentation is done. If you plan to backsweeten the mead, then you will need to stabilize it before adding new fermentable sugars.

As above but always use both, sulphite and sorbate.

If you only use sorbate and there's any MLF bacteria around, it munches the sorbate and produces geraniols......which screws the batch completely.

This can't occur if the sulphite level is above 20 ppm. 1 crushed campden tablet provides about 50 ppm per gallon......

You should wait till the ferment has finished then stabilise. Of course you dont need to stabilise if you're gonna leave it dry but as above re the back sweetening etc.

It's routine to sulphite when racking the first time then every second racking. It also acts as a preservative and anti-oxidant. ......

Back