10 Hop Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
So I got a little creative Saturday... well lets just say crazy with the hops. I had 5 or 6 1 lb bags I had never opened and wanted to put them to use. I know... it has corn sugar in it, but I knew it needed a little more gravity with all these hops.

So here's my question. All of the hops were pellets excpet for the cascade and perle. I want to dry hop with another 1oz of perle. Should I wait for the secondary? Or go ahead in the primary?

I should have taken pics of this brew. Within 2 hours the muntons dry yeast had taken off. In 4 hours my airlock was clogged. I removed it and hop trash went everywhere. After that its started spewing out like a volcano. I improvised a blow off tube and put the airlock back on that next morning.

I wonder what it will taste like. The color is nice. Pretty much I just used all my left over grains.

Here's the recipe.

Brewer: joutlaw
Email: - Beer: 10 Hop Imperial IPA Style: India Pale Ale Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons Color: 25 HCU (~14 SRM) Bitterness: 70 IBU OG: 1.075 FG: 1.015 Alcohol: 7.8% v/v (6.1% w/w) Grain: 8.25 oz. American crystal 60L
1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2 oz. Belgian Special B
4 oz. Special Roast Boil: minutes SG 1.126 3 gallons 7 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 lb. Corn sugar Hops: 1 oz. Chinook (11.6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (7.0% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Target (10% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.8% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (4.3% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.0% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.0% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Perle (aroma)

I've always dry hopped in the keg. I like to have an idea of where the batch is going first. The lastest, I dry hopped twice (cacades first, then fuggles & EKG)

How is your alcohol content so high with 7lbs of DME? Is it because of your specialty grains or the 1lb of corn sugar that you're adding? BTW all those hops sound mighty tasty :)

Probably the corn sugar. I'm hoping the 1lb of cara-pils will offset it some of the thinning out it will do.

I have some of those cascade hop tablets that are like a alkaseltzer. I'm using one of those and 1oz of perle. I suppose I got a little while to decide when. I'll probably do it in the secondary for the first week.

Racked to secondary and checked the gravity. 1.015 already!. I took a sip and wow.... very hoppy of course. Initial bite was excellent... not too much. I could tell this was a high gravity brew. I threw the cascade tablet in and added the 1oz of perle whole hops. It neeed a little aroma and I think this will do it. After 3 days in the secondary it is suprisingly clear. I'm letting it dry hop for 7 days, then 7 more in the secondary. I'm kegging all of this and priming and let her age for a while.

Experimenting is a lot of fun. I was scared at first I was wasting 7lbs of DME and all those hops. But this beer already tastes great being as green as it is.

Back