Sack mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I would like to make a 1 gallon batch of blueberry blossom sack mead. I was thinking of using Nottingham yeast.

Do you think this is a good yeast choice?

Should I use the whole package of yeast (11g) in this one gallon batch?

What OG should I try for?

I will be adding nutrient and energizer. I have 5 pounds of blueberry blossom so I will be using the left over to top off at rackings.

Thanks

Found raspberries at Costco, can't decide if I should add them to this or infuse them into vodka..

The term "sack," usually refers to meads that are 14% ABV & higher, and usually, but not always, sweet. Nottingham won't tolerate that high of an ABV & will die off at about 10 or 11% ABV. If you want a higher ABV, you'll have to use wine yeast. Here's a list of wine yeasts that you may find useful:
Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast
Regards, GF.

My mistake, I thought sack mead meant sweet like dessert wine. I am very new to all this.

What I am looking to make is a sweet mead. I dont need the abv to be very high, thats why I picked Nottingham.
I also thought I could get away with less total honey using Nottingham yeast so I do not have to worry about the ph. I rather not have to test it and add anything else to balance it...

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. An 11% ABV mead fermented with Nottingham yeast, claculated to hit target FG & yeast tolerance at approximately the same time...

I'd shoot for a primary target SG just a wee bit drier than you you want, say 9%, that way you can "feed" it more honey in small amounts to hit your desired FG. & sweeten to taste without it being too sweet.

You can certainly ferment mead without added nutrients, but honey is notoriously low in nutrients & for a couple dollars you can almost guarantee a healthy fermentation. You'll need healthy yeast colony to reliably push it to the threshhold of it's alcohol tolerance.

That being said, you do it the way you want, as long as you're happy with it, that's really all that counts.
Regards. GF.

Back